Kelley; In my opinon you are not out of touch!!!!  That was always a pet
peeve of mine too- actually I used to see red; I worked in a high school
for several years and when I was in the library the kids did not line up at
the door waiting for the bell to ring; they had to sit in their seats; I
even got mad when they started packing up before the bell.  The last 6
years I worked in a middle school and they did not line up then either.
Both levels grumbled but I was also known for running a "tight ship" so I
ignored them.  It also depends on what they are allowed to do in the
classrooms; on both levels I knew teachers who would say - class is not
over until that bell rings; you don't pack up your belongings until it
rings-I am still teaching; other teachers allowed them to get up and go to
the door; this drove me crazy because of course some would sneak out into
the hall.

In middle school I took a cue from some teachers; if kids were noisy before
the bell or thought they would stand by the door before the bell; they had
to stay in their seats after the bell rang till I dismissed them; usually
it was about 30 seconds but they didn't like that because it didn't give
them time to meet their friends in the hall and they had to hussle to get
to their next class on time.

I say, stick to your beliefs; make them understand that the library is just
like a classroom and you will not permit going to the door before the bell
rings.  They will grumble and give you a hard time but soon they will learn
you mean it and that is what is important.   I also made them clean up
around where they were sitting; pick up paper, etc.-not tiny bits unless it
was a mess and they were expected to push their chairs in; I have called
students back for not doing so(both in study hall and classes using the
library.  I felt they should respect the library and help keep it clean;
also the custodians were on my side because I kept things neat and
organized. The last period of the day we were asked to put the chairs up on
the tables to accommodate the custodians when the cleaned.  I always did
so; even though I left that school the custodians are still talking about
how respectful I was of them and how neat and organized I kept the library.

Diane Pozar
Monroeville, Pa.

---
--- resourceress@earthlink.net