From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Rena Deutsch
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 10:10 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: HIT: Mouse ball replacements and/or cheap mice

Sorry for the lateness of this hit.

MOUSE BALLS
One of the best places we have found is WorldWise Computer Supplies &
Accessories
2822 Fisher Road
Columbus Ohio 43204
1-800-994-7344 order line
1-888-288-2887 fax line

They are very helpful and I also get disk carriers, printer cartridges from
them.
let me know if you continue to have trouble. Super glue doesn't work for us,
can't get in to clean them. A drop of hot wax seems to help as it can be
popped
off. We don't have very much trouble anymore.

You can order mouse balls from BCS 895 E. Patriot Blvd., #110. Reno,NV
89511
800-544-3472 They are only $1.47 each!

We bought our balls from MBZ Distributing--at that time they were on the web
at
www.mouseballz.com.

Cyberguys, just saw their ad in their print catalog I was perusing last
week - about $1 per as I recall. Go to http://www.cyberguys.com/
and there you can get the tel. number as they may not list them in the
online catalog.

We purchase Mac mouse balls very cheaply (much, much less than replacing the
mouse!!!) for around $1.45 each from the company below:

DCS Computers Supplies
6501 St. Rt. 123
Franklin, OH 45005

Info specific to MACS
I just came across this information last Friday and it may be of some help
to others out there. While looking through the help center on my iMac I
discovered that the ring on the bottom of the mouse that holds in the ball
can be LOCKED.
Rather than try to copy all that info here, I will say that the proceedure
involves a straightened paperclip and I suggest that if you have a
Macintosh or iMac computer, check the Help Center, search for "lock
mouse" and you should be set. A quick check of the bottom of the mouse
will let you know if your mouse can be locked. Look for a small hole that
you could insert a straightened paperclip into. If there is no hole, the
mouse can not be locked. I locked every mouse in my library last Friday!

Mac Warehouse carries them for Macs.

RE: HOW TO AVOID LOSING MOUSE BALLS

Four people suggested using super glue to avoid losing mouse balls:
super glue the casing that holds the mouse ball in

One said “Super glue doesn't work for us, can't get in to clean them. A drop
of hot wax seems to help as it can be popped off. We don't have very much
trouble anymore”

Other suggestions:

mouse balls often cost more than replacements:
watch  local office supply stores for rebated mice and keyboards (buy one
and send in a rebate and you paid for just postage,tax and the
envelope).....

Places to buy mice:

all the regulars: Best Buy, Office Depot, Office Max.

Someone suggested checking out price watch at www.pricewatch.com
>From the index page that you see first, click on input devices; on the next
page, click on mouse.
That will take you to a table with listings of various companies that have
the devices available. Be sure to check for shipping prices. I noticed the
first company listed sells a mouse for $1.00, but shiping and handling is
$5.00.
In most cases, a telephone number is listed, so you can call and see what S
& H would be for a larger order. I suspect it would be considerably less.

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
High School for the Humanities
New York, NY
renadeutsch@worldnet.att.net