I understand that the US edition does not have the quotes which head
all but one of the chapters in the UK edition. having typed these out
for the Child lit list, I thought some of you might be interested.

Ch 1 ...While the beasts of prey, come from caverns deep, viewed the
maid asleep ... William Blake
Ch 2 Then a spirit passed before my face; the hair of my flesh stood
up. Book of Job
Ch 3  The knight's bones are dust, and his good sword rust;- his soul
is with the saints, I trust. Coleridge
Ch 4 She lay as if at play - her life had leaped away - intending to
return - but not too soon - Emily Dickinson
Ch 5  ... with ambitious aim against the throne and monarchy of God
rais'd impious war in heav'n and battel proud.    Milton
Ch 6 Reliques, beads, indulgences, dispenses, pardons, bulls, the
sport of winds ...  Milton
Ch 7 Last rose as in dance the stately trees, and spred thir branches
hung with copious fruit... Milton
Ch 8 I have been a stranger in strange land.  Exodus
Ch 9   ... a shade upon the mind there passes as when on noon a cloud
the mighty sun encloses ...  Emily Dickinson
Ch 10  There ariseth a little cloud out of the sea, like a man's
hand.   1 Kings
Ch 11  A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can
invent -  William Blake
Ch 12 Still as he fled, his eye was backward cast, as if his fear
still followed him behind. Edmund Spenser
Ch 13  Frowning, frowning night o'er this desart bright let thy moon
arise while I close my eyes.   WB
Ch 14   Labour without joy is base. Labour without sorrow is base.
Sorrow without labour is base. Joy without labour is base.    John
Ruskin
Ch 15  As I was waliking among the fires of Hell, delighted with the
enjoyments of genius ... WB
Ch 16  From the arched roof pendant by suttle magic many a row of
starry lamps and blazing cressets fed with naptha and asphaltus
yeilded light    John Milton
Ch 17  Now the serpent was more subtil than the beast of the field
which the Lord God had made.  Genesis
Ch 18  O that it were possible we might but hold some two days'
conference with the dead ... John Webster
Ch 19  I was angry with my friend; I told my wrath, my wrath did end.  WB
Ch 20  - I gained it so - by climbing slow - by catching at the twigs
that grow between the bliss - and me -  Emily Dickinson
Ch 21  I hate things all fiction ... there should always be some
foundation of fact ... Byron
Ch 22  Thick as autumnal leaves that strow the brooks in Vallonbrosa,
where the Etrurian shades high overarch't imbowr ...  John Milton
Ch 23  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free
-  St John
Ch 24  As is the mother, so is her daughter.  Ezekiel
Ch 25  A bracelet of bright hair about the bone ... John Donne
Ch 26  The sun has left his blackness and has found a fresher
morning, and the fair moon rejoices in the clear and cloudless night
... WB
Ch 27  My soul into the boughs does glide: there like a bird it sits,
and sings, then whets, and combs its silver wings ... Andrew Marvell
Ch 28  For many a time I have been half in love with easeful death
...John Keats
Ch 29  Each man is in his spectre's power untill the arrival of that
hour when his humanity awake ... WB
Ch 30 Far off th'empyreal heaven, extended wide in circuit,
undetermined square or round with opal towers and battlements adorn'd
of living saphire ... JM
Ch 31  For empire is no more, and now the lion and wolf shall cease.  WB
Ch 32  The morning comes, the night decays, the watchmen leave their
stations ... WB
Ch 33  Sweet spring, full of sweet days and roses, a box where sweets
compacted lie.   George Herbert
Ch 34   Shew you all alive the world, where every particle of dust
breathes forth its joy. WB
Ch 35  The birthday of my life is come, my love is come to me.
Christina Rossetti
Ch 36  But fate does iron wedges drive, and alwies crouds it self
betwixt.  Andrew Marvell
Ch 37  My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of
the possible.   Pindar
Ch 38  No quote, but a drawing of interlinked roses

The quotes are written as woodcuts, small blocks about an inch or so
square, with the type all in caps.
Perhaps reminiscent of Arts and Crafts books?

EB

--
Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources