  I got mine about 15 years ago at a used furniture store.  The owner had
bought out an entire clothing store's holdings.  Try your local Salvation
Army or other thrift stores, too.

How about using the school skeleton...even as an elementary school we have =
Mr. Bones, and we use him as a door stop to the Media Center...dressed
appropriately for every holiday/season(now he is dressed as a female
Pilgrim...what else coming from Plymouth in November!!!).  Long story as =
how he became part of the Media Center a few years back...but it's an
alternative!!! and our kids just love him/her!!!   You might even try
antique stores/thrift stores or flea markets for a mannequin.  Good luck!!

Long term, but:
watch for going-out-of-business sales.
Antique shops, used clothing stores, etc

My husband is a retail manager, so I am a sort of
authority on this one!  You've asked a tough one
because mannequins are very pricy (in the thousands of
dollars) and stores who still use them generally
continue to patch and use them until they are too
ragged to pass on.  They are very fragile.  Most
stores prefer to concentrate on merchandising now with
less space-consuming displays.  They are also
considered out of fashion in today's fashion industry,
so that makes them even tougher to find.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I will try these.
Sue

Sue Taylor, Teacher Librarian
Great Lakes Elementary School
Holland, MI