It has been suggested in my district that perhaps parents, PTO, could possibly take
over the
time consuming task of running the AR program. Does anyone else have parents
running the
program?
I am willing to house the books but, because my school does not really have a
"philosopy"
concerning the AR program I feel that it is not used to the kid's best interest.
Some
teachers tie the points earned to a daily grade, or a percentage of their final
grade in
order to get the kids to read the books. Some teachers do not use the program at
all. The
kids are not setting their own goals and are trying to read anything that will get
the
points that are required. A carnival like store was used in the past with "junk" for
exchange for points.
I feel that recognition should be the major award and that the end product should
be a
lifelong reader. I am willing to host a library luncheon or soda float type event
for those
students that have met their personal goals. I believe in RECOGNITION: a wall of
fame,
recognition during morning anouncements, certificates etc..
Because I voiced my opinion my principal is thinking of giving the program to PTO
to run
because they provide the funds. I can't see how this could possibly work. If anyone
else has
parents running the program would you please email me and let me know how it works?

Thanks so much,
Terry Schultz
Librarian, Vandagriff Elementary
Aledo ISD