Here is the hit on literary criticism books, as promised.

My favorite book on literary criticism is C. S. Lewis' An Experiment in
Criticism.

There is a book review at
www.complete-review.com/reviews/lewiscs/experiment.htm
-----
Check the series Literary Movements and Genres from Greenhaven Press.
I have one on Romanticism and one on Victorian literature.
----
Selden, Raman and Peter Widdowson.  A Reader's Guide to Contemporary
Literary Theory. 3rd ed. The University of Kentucky, 1993.

Selden, Raman.  Practicing Theory and Reading Literature: An Introduction.
The University of Kentucky, 1989.

Soter, Ann O.  Young Adult Literature and the New Literary
Theories, Teachers College, University of Columbia: Teachers College
Press,1999.

Trites, Roberta Seelinger.  Waking Sleeping Beauty: Feminist Voices in
Children's Novels.  Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 1997.
[Feminist theories]

Vandergrift, Kay E. Children's Literature: Theory, Research, and Teaching.
Englewood, Colorado: Libraries Unlimited, 1990.
[A good summary of literary theories and how they can be applied to youth
literature].
-----
Magill publishes a series called "Critical Series of Short Fiction...Long
Fiction...Drama", etc. and while they do focus on authors, both English
language and foreign language authors, in many of the series there is an
appendix that covers genres and literary terms.  I like these series very
much, and once a student knows about them, they use them again and again.
Our students find the "Dictionary of Literary Themes and Motifs" also
published by Magill and "Benets Reader's Encyclopedia" helpful.  Oxford and
Columbia put out literary encyclopedia both general and more specific
(American Lit., French Lit., etc) as well.  Another great resource for
movements and philosophies is the "Dictionary of the History of
Ideas"---this is a terrific resource for a variety of subjects.  Hope this
helps.
---
There is a new series from Gale Group called GALE STUDY GUIDES TO GREAT
LITERATURE. The two vol. we bought were "Magic Realism" ISBN 0787639729 and
"Ernest Hemigway and the Expatriate Modernist Mov't" ISBN 078763963x. This
series might make her happy until you can find more!
----
THE DISCIPLINES OF
CRITICISM: ESSAYS IN LITERARY THEORY, INTERPRETATION, AND HISTORY, c1968 by
Yale Univ. (Ed. Peter Demetz, et. al.)covers famous thinkers writing about
criticism & literature.
---
That's it.  Thanks for the help.

Mrs. Carolyn Gierke,  Librarian