    Hi all. My Principal came in today and was asking me about my schedule
from 11:45-12:00 each day. Here's the reason: Apparently we had a Mom come in
and ask that her child be allowed to use a secluded place to pray every day
during that time period. I have 2 semi-secluded areas of the IMC that will be
used as "back-up areas" in the event that the first choice, an unused
classroom, isn't available. This would only be if the NTA can't unlock the
door for some reason.  I realize this requires nothing from me except to be
here so there's adult supervision, but I'm wondering if this type of
accommodation in a public school setting isn't crossing the line separating
Church and State. I do realize that this was my Principal's decision, but
she's new- it makes me feel a tad uneasy. I might be inclined to tell the
parent that this is a public school and that we are not permitted to make
that accomodation- and that if this was what she really wanted then perhaps a
different school setting would be more appropriate.  Don't get me wrong, I
have no problem with the family being religious, and also no problem with the
child praying. I do have a problem with the staff being required to provide
such special accomodations for prayer in this setting.  I am one that tries
to keep holidays neutral with the understanding that not all of the students
celebrate things like Halloween and Christmas, but does this cross the line?

Elissa Williams- Library
School District of Phila.
Samiandindysmom@aol.com
      Used to be EWStahl@aol.com but switched to a less Spammed name.