Hi Everyone--

Just bought a beautiful iMac DV in graphite. (My old Mac melted down last
week. It wasn't pretty.) Got it up and running, but my old Apple Personal
LaserWriter 300 is giving me a problem and I'm getting nervous. I was told it
would work fine with the iMac as long as I bought a USB Serial Adapter, which
I did--made by Belkin.

I installed their software as directed, hooked in the LaserWriter cable to
the hub and the hub to the 2nd USB port on the Mac. It won't recognize the
printer when I go to the Chooser, and when I looked it up on Mac Help, that
particular printer wasn't listed. Laser Writer 8 is listed, but it won't
acknowledge my printer. So what do I do? How can I get my Mac to recognize
the printer? The little manual from Belkin said something about reinstalling
the old printer's software--well, I bought this printer several (5?) years
back, and I haven't a clue where that software might have gotten to (plus I
doubt it's on a CD-ROM even if I found the original stuff.)

Next I went to www.apple.com/support and tried to find out what they advised.
Spent an hour trying to get any info. Found Apple-Software Updates and tried
to look up my Personal LaserWriter 300, to see if I needed to download
something, and couldn't find anything pertinent.

Can I get around this or not? If you know anything about this, HELP! I have
several writing deadlines over the next few days, a disaster in the making if
I can't get this printer to work! I'm going to try calling Apple tomorrow and
CompUSA where I bought the Mac, but don't have overwhelming faith in either
one. I'm not particularly computer savvy when it comes to fixing and
installing things, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged. I figured if anyone
would be able to figure this out, you folks would. Thanks.

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Book Talk" Columnist, Instructor Magazine
Highland Park, NJ
BKWSSF@aol.com