Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for help with this.  =
Here is my original question, with a summary of the responses following:

>I have a question about Netscape Navigator (version 4.6, >I believe).  It =
seems that more and more web pages have a >dark colored background and =
light colored or white >text.  This text does not print, because the =
printer reads >it as white, the same color as the paper.  In the page =
>setup settings under the file menu there is an option to >check "black =
text."  This takes care of the printing >problem.

>My question is, how do I make this the default setting?  >All I can =
figure out is to change it each time we start >Netscape.  This is not =
realistic to do for each of our 10 >machines each time the computer or =
program is >restarted, especially since we have to turn Fortress off >each =
time we want to make a change.  I've resorted to >telling students they =
can't print pages with white or light->colored text.  It seems there has =
to be a way to change >the default settings, though, so that it automatical=
ly >prints all text in black.  Does anyone know how I can do >this?

The responses said either one of two things: copy and paste or change the =
default colors.  It's a simple matter to highlight and copy into a word =
processing application or text editor like Notepad.  The way to take care =
of the printing without relying on another application is to change the =
default color settings.  The instructions for this are below.  The only =
negative to doing so is that it does change the appearance of the web =
sites.  They will all be black text on a white background or whatever you =
choose regardless of what the web site creator intended.  As far as I can =
tell, there is no way to view the web sites they way they are supposed to =
be and still have the text print black by default.

Open NETSCAPE
            click  EDIT
            go down and click PREFERENCES
            Click APPEARANCE, then COLORS
             Chose color for text
             click the box "Always use my colors overriding documents"