Inquiring minds want to know....I am working on a resource book for public
school teachers and librarians who are working with blind and visually
impaired children within the public schools.  I am at the point where I am
wondering if this might be something that teachers / librarians in public
schools REALLY want or need.  Obviously there is a "need" among schools for
the blind because not everyone who takes a position at a school for the
blind knows the resources that are "out there."  I know that there are a
few of my collegues who are still teaching in schools for the blind across
the nation that monitor LM_NET--and with those few of us who work with
these children, we hope to provide those of you who encounter these
children with the resources that you might need.  However, the resources
change and people leave list-servs.

I find many requests on LM_NET throughout the year dealing with "where do I
find" or "how can I locate" specific items dealing with children who are
blind or visually impaired attending the public schools.  It seems that
there is a need but I don't know to what extent this audience might
actually evolve. (I'm not looking for a best-seller, merely something that
teachers and librarians will find useful when they encounter these
situations.)

For years (as a teacher and librarian at the Oklahoma School for the Blind)
I compiled a booklet of resources that I would hand out to itinerant
teachers at workshops in which I facilitated.  My concern is that the
information found in those booklets are now out-of-date but the information
--resource companies and people--is still reliable for the most part.

If you are working with children who are blind and/or visually impaired and
feel that this might be something that you would be interested in knowing
more about when it is published, please respond to me personally.  At this
time I don't know what the price will be for the book, but I am hoping that
it will be reasonable for most schools to purchase for their libraries or
even their classroom teachers.

Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769