------_=_NextPart_000_01C04E7E.85A765C0

LM_NETters: This is a plain text version of a document I sent to the
district library staff. We are using Follett Circ+ and the Columbia Library
System. All the computers on our network are Dells - no Macintoshes. The
'how to add to your browser' part is for Win98 and Internet Explorer v5.0

Here are some of the MARC record sources. This has helped me (and now, us)
tremendously in the last dozen years or so! I hope it helps you. It takes a
little finagling with to make all this stuff work, but it's worth it.

You'll note that there aren't any Z39.50 sources, since this protocol has to
be supported either by the automation system or by a separate utility, which
I don't have. These are all web sites. I've renamed the 'links' to shorten
the name, so they all appear in the Links line just below the URL address
box.

BCCLS - is a public library system that allows MARC exports - only one
record at a time. You left click on MARC record in the left column, then
right click on "Download MARC record". If you just click on the link, it'll
start downloading the MARC record to your screen. Each time you do this,
you'll need to add a number to the file as you save it. E.g.  record.mrc;
record1.mrc, record2.mrc in the "save file" dialog box.

** FL - Is FLorida's "Sunlink", which only allows viewing of MARC records.
But you can highlight the MARC record, copy and paste it to WordPad, then
hand enter the data. Note that you can limit your search by material type,
title, author, language, etc. Only member libraries can download the MARC
records!

**** Library.Com - is FreeMARC - this is a TERRIFIC site - 2.8 million MARC
records, mostly k-12. This should be your FIRST CHOICE! This site allows you
to export each MARC record to a file and then download the whole file.

LOC - Library of Congress - you can download MARC records here but it's not
obvious, and they're really minimal cataloguing. I haven't used this site
myself.

*** ORBIS - another GREAT site. This is the catalog for ALL academic
libraries in Oregon! Needless to say, it's more useful for high school than
elementary. This site allows you to export each MARC record to a file and
then download the whole file.

OSLIS - home page for our state library info system - lots of great ideas,
hints, helps, forms, tutorials, links to our databases. Many use this as a
home page.

** Texas - Like the Florida site - look but don't touch! You can copy and
paste the MARC record to Wordpad, and then hand-enter. I didn't choose
Florida and Texas because of their governors, incidentally - they're just
great sites!

ORULS - is the OR union list of serials. Which libraries in the state have
which magazines!

There are plenty of other library consortiums that allow you to look at
their MARC records, then copy and paste the information to a word processor.
These are some of the best. It's really unusual for Florida's site to not
have a book that you have, especially elementary titles and videotapes.
There may be others that also allow downloading, but I haven't found any of
them as yet.

The title doesn't matter to your program when you're importing these
records, just so long as you tell the program _what_the_title_is. Follett
will accept any of these, but I have to tell the import screen the 'name' of
the file (they're all USMARC, btw).

I store these in the "Links" folder (after getting rid of the "really
useful" links that IE 5.5 comes with ?!?), so they are always visible, just
below your address window in IE 5. I have a few other "Links", like AR,
Follett, Permabound, Google search, etc.

NOTE: you can simply drag these URLs directly from this e-mail message to
the Links bar (just below the URL "Address" box. You can also 'delete' any
of the already existing "Links" you don't want, by simply dragging them to
the recycle bin (be careful you don't 'launch' the website! Click carefully
on the 'link', hold down the left mouse button and drag without release the
button until you get to the recycle bin. If you release the button before
getting to the recycle bin -- "off you go" to the link!).

Or, you can click on the URL below, tell the box to "open" the file. It'll
then launch the website, at which time you can "add" to your favorites file
in the Links folder. They'll then appear on your "Links" line on your
browser.

from

Garry Jantzen, Librarian N7SBG
Marshfield High School
Coos Bay, OR 97420-0102
garryj@coos-bay.k12.or.us (If you're not making mistakes, you're not trying
hard enough - Mark Willes, former CEO of Times-Mirror Corp.)

http://www.marshfield.coos-bay.k12.or.us/library/ Your doorway to the OSLIS
databases!

(For other than internal use, please ask permission for copying or
forwarding)

 <<BCCLS.url>>  <<FL.url>>  <<LibraryCom.url>>  <<LOC.url>>  <<ORBIS.url>>
<<ORULS.url>>  <<OSLIS.url>>  <<Texas.url>>

------_=_NextPart_000_01C04E7E.85A765C0

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.bccls.org/

[InternetShortcut]