Thanks to all who sent me suggestions as to how to delete a troublesome
email in the Inbox. Each time I would highlight it to delete it (without
even opening it) I would get an illegal operation message that caused my
Netscape to shut down,but not my Internet connection. I tried some of
the suggestions, but nothing worked.This is what I did: I minimized my
Messenger so I could bring the files back up later, then exited the
Internet. I then maximized the Messenger. I highlighted the email above
the bad one  in the Inbox along with the bad one by using the
control-alt keys. This highlighted the 2 emails. I then pressed the
delete key. The bad email was deleted and the other one remained. I
don't know why, but it was gone. I then emptied my trash so it could do
no more harm (hopefully). I possibly could have done the same thing by
simply highlighting the bad email after exiting the Internet. This way
Netscape couldn't shut down, since it wasn't really running in the first
place. Confused? Anyway, my way worked for me and that's what counts.

Suggested solutions:

Can you grab it and drag it to the trash?

I had a similar problem with my email about 3 weeks ago but I was left
unable to open up my mail at all.  As soon as I would try the illegal
operation message would come up.  I ended up uninstalling Netscape 4.71
and
reinstalling it.  I lost all of my mail and bookmarks and addressbook
but at
least I was back functioning.  Someone told me to copy my mailbox to a
floppy and import it in the new program but I could not figure that out.

I don't use the communicator in Netscape, but you might try RIGHT
clicking on the message and selecting delete ... this often bypasses
other things in the program.

Try getting your email from the company page of your ISP.  For instance,

I can go to my company's home page and get my mail from there when I am
away from home.  When you get there, delete the email in question. . .
dunno if this will help, but it worked for me with a similar problem.
If it still doesn't work, contact your ISP and see if they can assist.
My own is extremely helpful.

MAYBE if you click on another e-mail message and then click on SELECT
ALL
and then delete, it may work, I don't really know for sure.  If you need
save some of the other messages, you will have to put them into another
folder...

Can you get to it through a text-based browser? If you can, you should
be
able to delete it that way.

--
Lois Tabis, Librarian