I'm once again looking for a little help.  I teach in a Roman Catholic
school division in Okatoks, Alberta (in Alberta - the Catholic schools are
publicly funded) and the idea of censorship has come up concerning our
libraries.  One of the associate superintendents wants to get rid of the
Harry Potter books from our schools.  It even goes further to include our
classroom libraries, they are asking how many copies we have bought with
our own money and placed in our classes for the kids to read.  I want to go
to bat on this one but I need a little ammo.  I admit to really enjoying
the Harry Potter stories but even more than that I love what they are doing
for my students, it's turning them on to reading.  I don't want to make
this solely a Harry Potter issue, I want to make it a censorship issue.  I
disagreed when I was a first year teacher when our schools banned the R.L.
Stine Goosebumps books but I was insecure enough in my tenure that I
couldn't press the issue.  I feel more grounded now and was hoping some of
you could help.  Articles, websites, books I should take a look at - even
better have the division take a look at would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Paul Lavery
Teacher/Libraian