------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C05006.2C2DD180

Hi,
I am sending this message both as a warning and to seek help with a =
recent problem. I have a 12th grade Spanish teacher that came to me =
after he discovered his students were using Internet language =
translators to write their papers. Students are typing their papers in =
English first and then using the translators to convert their papers =
into Spanish. They have been using AlataVista's site at =
http://world.altavista.com/ The teacher is upset because he has no way =
to actually prove these student wrote their papers this way. At this =
time, the teacher only suspects he has a handful of students that have =
used this "new" process. I am sending this out to other librarians to =
warn other language teachers that students may be using these =
translators without the teacher being aware. Logistically, it would be =
impossible to use an Internet Filter to block these translators sites. =
Students can always access these translator sites at home or find a =
buried link somewhere. The only temporary solution we have is to have =
all students submit their papers on a disk so the teacher can scan their =
paper into the Internet translator to see if there is a match. We are =
hoping that this may scare students but some are still going to continue =
to use the translators. I am wondering if other secondary librarians and =
language teachers have discovered this problem and what they have done =
to solve this problem. I would appreciate any responses to this problem. =

Thanks,

Jeff Detrick
Librarian=20
Norwich High School
Norwich, NY=20
jjdeek@stny.rr.com

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C05006.2C2DD180

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am sending this message both as a =
warning and to=20
seek help with a recent problem. I have a 12th grade Spanish teacher =
that came=20
to me after he discovered his students were using Internet language =
translators=20
to write their papers. Students are typing their papers in English first =
and=20
then using the translators to convert their papers into Spanish. They =
have been=20
using AlataVista's site at <A=20
href=3D"http://world.altavista.com/">http://world.altavista.com/</A>&nbsp=
;The=20
teacher is upset because he has no way to actually prove these student =
wrote=20
their papers this way. At this time, the teacher only suspects he has a =
handful=20
of students that have used this "new" process. I am sending this out to =
other=20
librarians to warn other language teachers that students may be using =
these=20
translators without the teacher being aware. Logistically, it would be=20
impossible to use an Internet Filter to block these translators sites. =
Students=20
can always access these translator sites at home or find a buried link=20
somewhere. The only temporary solution we have is to have all students =
submit=20
their papers on a disk so the teacher can scan their paper into the =
Internet=20
translator to see if there is a match. We are hoping that this may scare =

students but some are still going to continue to use the translators. I =
am=20
wondering if other secondary librarians and language teachers have =
discovered=20
this problem and what they have done to solve this problem. I would =
appreciate=20
any responses to this problem. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff Detrick</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Librarian </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Norwich High School</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Norwich, NY </DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"mailto:jjdeek@stny.rr.com">jjdeek@stny.rr.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C05006.2C2DD180--