LM_Netters:

I hope this hasn't already been a topic that I somehow missed. I apologize if this
is a repeat.

We received free book covers from All Campus Media. We were instructed to pass out
1 per student in grades 6-12 and then give the company some feedback.

One side of the cover is all Dr. Pepper logos. The other side is a nicely-done
montage of performers Kris Kross, Xscape, Da Brat, Jagged Edge, and Lil'Bow Wow.

After speaking to a student about these groups/people, I thought I'd better check
them out before handing out the bookcovers. I went on the web and got lyrics from a
number of their songs and discovered language and content that I consider totally
inappropriate for any school-age child. Graphic sexual content and the usual
4-letter words abound.

Some people have a real concern/issue with companies, such as Dr. Pepper in this
case, being advertised in schools. While I agree there is validity to these
concerns, right now I'm more concerned with the promotion of these performers.

My questions are: Have you received freebies from this company? If so, have you
received things with questionable quality, as I did in this case? If so, did you
contact the company and did they respond? Did you hand out the freebies either with
or without knowledge of the content? If so, did any parents have complaints?
Anything else you'd like to add, I'd appreciate hearing.  I strongly question the
motives of All Campus Media and wonder what kinds of subjects they have sent out in
the past.

I've written a letter to All Campus Media, but I'd like more info before mailing
it. I'm also sending them a copy of the printouts of the lyrics, although I truly
can't believe that they weren't aware of them when they made this bookcover. TIA
for your help on this.

--
Karen Jerolamon, Librarian
William Henry Middle School