Dear folks,

        I wanted to share something with you that was  written by Karen
G. Schneider, assistant director of technology at the Shenendehowa
Public Library in Clifton Park, NY.  This appeared in the Sunday New
York Times, Business section, p. 11, October 29, 2000.  It is entitled
"The Librarian's Image, Unrevised."  I felt that this last section spoke
not only to those in the field of library science, but to anyone working
in the human services.

        "Yes, many in my profession - and in other helping professions
like the ministry, education and child care - need much better income
and benefits.  And it is the high crime of the new economy that so many
service workers lack basic health care or retirement packages while the
rest of the country is on one hectic, manic splurge.
        "I wish that it were easier for me to buy a home, or that I had
medical options other than the lie called managed care.  And I worry
about my colleagues who must clothe and educate children, care for
infirm relatives or simply pay next month's bills.  We deserve real pay
for our work.
        "Yet I also know that when the market crash came in 1929, men
leapt from window ledges not because they were lonely or spiritually
unfulfilled, or because they wished they had spent more time with their
children.  They committed suicide because money had become the center of
their universe, and when bad times came, they had nothing left to fall
back on.
        "I may not own a monogrammed handbag, but at my core, I know who
I am, sensible shoes and all, and I would not trade that for everything
in the world."

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, NY
enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org

P. S.  Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!