I have checked books out over the holidays for over 20 years with minimal
loss.   I do  my little routine- Please don't feed the book (turkey, gravy,
pie...) or give it a bath (in the  bathtub or rain, snow..) or leave it
around where  little hands or puppy teeth  can reach it while it's on
vacation,  If it gets to fly or drive someplace special, remember to bring
it back- hopefully, without sand in the pages.

I had a wonderful experience a few years ago. A book was left on the plane
in London.  It went on to Switzerland where a woman found it in the seat
pocket with the magazines.  She read it. It brought back such wonderful
childhood memories that she wrote us a lovely note thanking us.  She then
mailed the book back to us.  Our  school name and address are in each book.
I shared that note with the kids who were delighted one of our books brought
so much pleasure to a complete stranger so far away and that books meant so
much to someone that they would take the time, trouble and expense to return
one to us. Talk about a wonderful teaching and learning experience.

Wishing you all a safe, happy holiday.
Bernardine