Many thanks to all those who responded. I am afraid I wasn't as clear
as I should have been in my original post, but the results surpassed
my wildest expectations - though they shouldn't have done knowing how
good this list is!

I did know the name of the poem and the poet, I just hadn't brought
the details home with me. But the sites you have given me will really
help my students to make sense of the poem.

On creating my HIT I managed to lose the original e-mails, but I do
thank you all.

I have taken out names but the geographical spread of was wonderful:
the USA, Canada and South Africa, to name but the first 3.

EB

I received your email re the Port Jacksons via our media listserv
and while I am able to offer the poets name, Tatamkhulu Afrika, the
poems that we have by him in our Library do not mention the Port
Jacksons. He has published 7 small books of poems that I am
aware of. I have emailed the publisher of the book that we have and
asked if he can help (it is a small publishing house so the mail
shouldn't get lost!) - I sent your email address to him so he may
get back to you directly.

It's me again! My message to the publisher was returned with a
'mail delivery failure' message so I did a bit of searching myself.
Using Google I typed in the poet's name (in inverted commas) and
came up with lots of answers, including a BBC site which gives the
poem (Nothing's changed)!! & all sorts of other bits. The address
for the poem is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/gcsebitesize/english/poems_from_other_cultures_and_traditions/tatamkhulu_afrika_nothings_changed_rev.shtml#poem

If that is too long I am sure you would be able to shorten it & still
collect the info. (Or try the Google search)

The poet is Tatamkhulu Afrika.  I will check if we have anything by
him.

Port Jackson willows are the scourge of the Cape Floral Kingdom
and have recently been declared prohibited alien flora in South
Africa.  The damage that they create has been known for a long
time.  It is the Port Jackson willow that caused last summer's fires
to rage so devastatingly through the Table Mountain range in the
Cape Peninsula.  As an alien it is likely to have come from
Australia.

The poem can be located at this URL

http://www.devon.gov.uk/dcs/crossings/poetry/ta.htm

I see there is not actually a transcript of the poem at the URL I gave you
but am sure if you contact one of the people involved in the Crossings
Project they should be able to help you.

Tatmkhulu Afrika is a Egyptian-born poet which stays in Cape
Town. The follwing website will give you more information about him:
http://www.uct.ac.za/projects/poetry/tatamkul.htm

At the website:
http://www.devon.gov.uk/dcs/crossings/poetry/ta.htm, you will find
a discussing between him and three students from a Cape Town
High school on his poem "Nothing Changed".

The Port Jackson tree is an Acacia tree imported from Australia to
bind the shifting dunes on the Cape Flats, which is the isthmus
which joins the Cape Peninsula to the mainland of Africa.   It
served its purpose but has subsequently become an invasive,
noxious plant, a serious fire hazard and we are trying our best to
eradicate it.

I have managed to find out more info about the poet - Tatamkulu
Afrika, who is a poor, old, white man living in a shack tucked away
somewhere in the Western Cape.  He has chosen to live a spare,
ascetic way of life and has begun to write poetry which is highly
regarded.

--
Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources