Dear Madeline and all-

    I work in a K-2 building and I do NOT allow check-out over holiday break.
 I am not automated as yet, so checking in over 400 books by hand the day
after vacation is a bit onerous..... but I did try holiday check-out  the
first vacation I was here for both Dec and Spring break and with this age
group, it was problematic.

    With our kids in split families, holiday times are usually split also and
we ran into more than one case of a library book being left at the family of
the non-custodial parent and sending notes home to the other parent did not
produce much results.  In another instance, we had a book left somewhere in a
rental car near DisneyWorld.  With the hubbub of extra presents floating
around,  we had another 3 or 4 that turned up as just plain lost.  One was
returned to the public library. To be fair, we eventually recovered all but
the one in Florida, but it took a couple months to rein them all in.

    With older kids who can keep track of their own things, it's probably not
a problem, but my experience has not been positive.... so I guess it's a case
of knowing your  own audience and what works best..

Sandi

Sandra L.Priest-Ploetz, Librarian
GLP Primary School, Eden Central Schools
Eden, New York
EPLOETZ195@AOL.com