The consensus is 10-15 minutes for checkout.

Michele's students have 45 minutes and Miriam P. encourages her teachers to
use the full period. Miriam's students select their books, sit down and
begin reading. Check out is only during the last 10 minutes of the class
period.

I like this idea because the students has more of a chance to preview their
books before they are stuck with them for two weeks. Very few of my students
will come and get at another book because the one they have doesn't interest
them. They will take a zero and not read rather than find another book.

Ann H. has her classes use the complete period (50 minutes) when they come
to the library. Her Communication Arts teachers have worksheets for their
students to complete each time they come to the library and the students are
required to cite their sources.

If the classes stay longer than 15 minutes, many suggested the students sit
quietly and read their book, a magazine or a newspaper.

Most of the responses stated that the classroom teachers were there to
assist their students in book selections.(Maybe I need to booktalk with my
teachers)

Marsha L. suggested that the students have atleast three ideas for books
before they come into the library. This can include a favorite author,
genre, specific category, or a general category.

Lisa D. sometimes has the classroom teachers make recommendations of titles
before the students come to the library.

Marty P. pulls books, booktalks them, and then encourages the students to
select from the pulled books. She also encourages the teachers to send the
reluctant readers on their own and the library staff will help them find
select books.

Thank you all who responded to my target. I appreciate all your comments so
very much.

Debbe Creamer, Librarian
Park View Middle School, South Hill, VA
pvmslibrary@hotmail.com