--=====================_634986==_.ALT

Hello all:

Some school librarians are also "Ministers of Information", as Donna from Texas
dubbed herself!  That is why I posted an inquiry to the group:

>Is anyone aware of a software program for cataloguing, maintaining, and
>checking in/out books from such a special library? If not, do most use Dewey
>systems and cards in the backs of books?

Many requested a HIT, so here goes.  Thank you all for being so supportive of
this SLIS grad student!

Donna
LM_Net Member Since 1998
8th Grade Teacher & SLIS Students (12 credits to go)
Whitehorse Middle School
Madison, WI
d@madison.k12.wi.us

********************
I am also our church librarian, but very part time and feel very
guilty with how little time I spend on it. Right now I have two large boxes
full of donated books that I have decided would be good additions to our
collection, but I do not have time to catalog and type cards for them. I
don't even seem to find the time ( or volunteer) to type a list to send to a
company like Mackin. At this point we are not looking for software, but I
know there is software available for small collections. Rowena Case is our
Pacific Northwest Assoc. of Church Librarians rep and knows who sells it. If
you don't get enough responses via email, you could call her at
509-453-3202.
********************
last summer I started the awesome task of organizing the library at
the Chancery Office of the Diocese of Sioux City. I am using Dewey for them,
and am putting books into an automation system called CASPR. I really like
that software package. It is so user friendly and the support is SUPER!!!
********************
I have worked in two church libraries. One had been dismantled, i.e., books
thrown randomly into boxes. With help from two other volunteers we checked
every book against the card catalog and got almost everything reshelved before
I moved to another city.
I don't recall the name of the cataloging software we used in my most recent
church, something from the Library Store catalog. After I started graduate
school and discovered MARC records, I did not encourage upgrading that system
since it does not use MARC. It is my experience that most church libraries use
Dewey and check-out cards.
The Southern Baptist Convention publishes a periodical for church librarians
which includes advance notice of upcoming lessons in Bible study curriculum.
Many of its affiliate local associations have regular meetings for church
librarians. Perhaps other denominations do also.
********************
I work part time in our temple library. Last spring we ordered Alexandria
(offered free for small libraries--they send you a disk that works for one
machine. Call them and ask if the offer still stands.) We are not yet
using it to check out because people come in and take things when a
librarian is unavailable, but we are building our date base using it and in
a few months it will be useful for searching.
We use MITINET for cataloging. It's great. It prints cards and labels,
too. We use a version of Dewey that was developed for Jewish
libraries...parts are the same, but the 200's are different.
********************
I am in fact our church librarian - volunteer of course. We do use
the dewey decimal system, with all of the nonfiction being in the 200s.
Example - books on parenting are cataloged 247. Several years ago we
automated our system as we have over 10,000 books and over 1,000 videos to
be checked out. We are using Winnebago as it is what I have in my school -
so at least 1 person knew the program. Prior to that we did use the card in
the back of the book.
********************
We have automated a couple of church/school libraries with Follett. We
received a grant a couple of years ago that allowed participation by
private schools, and if the school library was a part of the church
library, it allowed the church library to automate also. Our former
church (First Baptist-San Antonio) also automated a number of years ago
with Follett.
I think most of the companies that target church libraries have nothing
that is specifically church-related, they are just small companies with
small products. I would consider going with a major company just for
the tech support and the stability of the software.
********************
I believe there is a system from Shelby (based in Nashville TN) that is
intended for your type of library; however, I do not think it will import
MaRC records. I've never seen the program, only heard about it.
*******************
(THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT THAT APPEARS HELPFUL, SO PETER OK'd ITS USE)
We have been creating, producing, and selling software for "smaller
libraries" including churches and synagogues for the last 21 years. The
programs catalog, maintain and checkout books, and all sorts of other
"media," for example, CDs, videos, films, etc.
Most of these libraries no longer use cards in the back of books, using the
computer catalog in our THE CIRCULATION DESK or our COMPUTER ACCESS CATALOG
programs.
Hope this information helps....if you would like to see and use the software,
please go to our website:
www.rightonprograms.com
and under TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, download, use and enjoy the programs.
If we can be of any additional assistance, please call 631-424-7777, fax
424-7207 or send us an email......friends@rightonprograms.com
Best wishes.............David Farren, VP
********************
After 26 years as a school
district library supervisor and 15 years as a teacher of cataloging at
(the other) UW, I retired and found myself the librarian at Plymouth
Congregational Church. Plymouth is the large downtown Seattle church
serving the central business district as well as the suburbs.
The library has been in operation for 50 years. Sometimes they had
trained librarians; other times they had well-meaning volunteers. And
you can imagine what the standard of cataloging was -- spotty, to say
the least.
To bring some order to the chaos, I bought a management program put
out by Caspr-- Library World Bronze. Because I use the program only to
create catalog cards and labels, I was able to get it at a reduced
price-- $300. That's half the usual rate. The program does have the
capacity for check-in and out, and an electonic search capacity. The
reason I don't use it is that the prospect of converting 6,000 volumes
to a data base simply is too much to bear-- given our relatively low
circulation.
So I catalog all new materials using CIP where available and
Dewey/Sears if I have to be really original or match a classification to
fit the existing collection. Library World creates cards and labels for
book jackets and cards and we're in business.
The biggest difference I've seen between cataaloging for public
schools and a church library is that public schools don't have much
material in the 200's; this library has half its collection in that
number. It was a culture shock!
********************
I also run my synagogue's library. I have purchased a
software for OPAC, Mechtronics. We only circulate a
few books a week, so we use cards and pockets for
circulation. We just have the synagogue members sign
their name and phone number so we can call if the book
is overdue
********************
I started a library at my church about 2 years ago and I use the old-fashioned
Dewey/card system. I believe I have seen an automation system for church
libraries but it was cost-prohibitive for me. We started up with donations of
used books and some new. My budget is $300 a year for supplies and new
materials. Not enough for automation!
If you don't get anything specific about automated systems from LM_Net, let me
know and I'll look at home to see if I have anything in my church library files
that would be helpful to you.
Is your church library already is existence or are you just starting it? I
joined a church library association to help me get started. I love the booklet
of subjects and Dewey #'s they sent. My abridged Dewey book wasn't detailed
enough to help me with religious subject headings and Dewey #'s.
********************
A good source to contact for church library information is the Church
and Synagogue Library Association:
http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~csla/
CSLA does recommend that church libraries use standard library
cataloging procedures. Among their excellent publications are guides on
cataloging standards subject headings, Dewey classification.
********************
I'm also a church librarian; our library uses the Calico Lamb software for
the online catalog. We decided not to use automated circulation, instead
relying on the good ol' card and pocket system. Everyone seems to find the
catalog easy to use, and entering records is also very easy.
********************
At our very small church library (maybe 1000 books), I catalog the books
using Dewey. We have a card catalog. Books have cards & pockets in the
front of the book. when someone wants to check out a book, they sign the
card & put the card in the check out tray. when they return it, they leave
it on the shelf for me to check in and put it away. Very informal. I just
hate doing the cards since I have been automated at school for so long--but
it wouldn't be useful to have an on line check out system for our church.
Most of the older people would never figure out how to use it and it just
wouldn't be worth the expense.
****************
Several years ago, maybe 1991 or 1992, I heard of some shareware named
"Rachel" made by someone in NC. It was DOS. If you want me to, I can
investigate further. Yes to the Dewey numbers and cards. I have seen a 200
Dewey book for church libraries, probably in the Southern Baptist
literature, which is named "Lifeway" now. They probably have software
available, too. You can probably find it on line.
********************
I'm a librarian of a church--or "Minister of Information," as I tongue-in-cheek
like to say. We have a collection of 4,800 items, and we check out about 150
items a month. We use a stand-alone Follett program for our catalog and
circulation system. Patrons sign cards in the books and drop them in a basket
on the desk. LIbrary staff then keys in the barcode numbers of the patrons and
titles. When items are returned, we key in the barcode number from the back of
the item.
This works extremely well for us. Patrons (many elderly) aren't intimidated as
they would be if we went to a scanner system. Speed isn't a factor, so taking
the extra time to sign cards, file cards, and retrieve cards at check in, isn't
a worry. We have lots of volunteers also.
We order MARC records from Marcive on the internet. Our catalog is,
consequently, very accurate. We track statistics with our catalog system, and
we conduct an inventory every three years with our computer system.
********************
WE use Follett in our church library
********************
The Baptist
Sunday School Board in Nashville has a computer program for church libraries.
It is very expensive and I don't have their program. They do use the Dewey
and either card or scan. They should have a web site. Not much help, if you
already know this information.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
                                -   John Lennon

--=====================_634986==_.ALT

Hello all:<br>
Some school librarians are also &quot;Ministers of Information&quot;, as
Donna from Texas dubbed herself!&nbsp; That is why I posted an inquiry to
the group:<br>
&gt;Is anyone aware of a software program for cataloguing, maintaining,
and <br>
&gt;checking in/out books from such a special library? If not, do most
use Dewey <br>
&gt;systems and cards in the backs of books?<br>
Many requested a HIT, so here goes.&nbsp; Thank you all for being so
supportive of this SLIS grad student!<br>
Donna <br>
LM_Net Member Since 1998<br>
8th Grade Teacher &amp; SLIS Students (12 credits to go)<br>
Whitehorse Middle School<br>
Madison, WI<br>
d@madison.k12.wi.us<br>
********************<br>
I am also our church librarian, but very part time and feel very <br>
guilty with how little time I spend on it. Right now I have two large
boxes <br>
full of donated books that I have decided would be good additions to our
collection, but I do not have time to catalog and type cards for them. I
don't even seem to find the time ( or volunteer) to type a list to send
to a <br>
company like Mackin. At this point we are not looking for software, but I
know there is software available for small collections. Rowena Case is
our <br>
Pacific Northwest Assoc. of Church Librarians rep and knows who sells it.
If <br>
you don't get enough responses via email, you could call her at <br>
509-453-3202.<br>
********************<br>
last summer I started the awesome task of organizing the library at
the Chancery Office of the Diocese of Sioux City. I am using Dewey for
them, <br>
and am putting books into an automation system called CASPR. I really
like <br>
that software package. It is so user friendly and the support is
SUPER!!!<br>
********************<br>
I have worked in two church libraries. One had been dismantled, i.e.,
books thrown randomly into boxes. With help from two other volunteers we
checked every book against the card catalog and got almost everything
reshelved before I moved to another city. <br>
I don't recall the name of the cataloging software we used in my most
recent church, something from the Library Store catalog. After I started
graduate school and discovered MARC records, I did not encourage
upgrading that system since it does not use MARC. It is my experience
that most church libraries use Dewey and check-out cards. <br>
The Southern Baptist Convention publishes a periodical for church
librarians which includes advance notice of upcoming lessons in Bible
study curriculum. Many of its affiliate local associations have regular
meetings for church librarians. Perhaps other denominations do
also.<br>
********************<br>
I work part time in our temple library. Last spring we ordered Alexandria
(offered free for small libraries--they send you a disk that works for
one <br>
machine. Call them and ask if the offer still stands.) We are not yet
using it to check out because people come in and take things when a
librarian is unavailable, but we are building our date base using it and
in <br>
a few months it will be useful for searching.<br>
We use MITINET for cataloging. It's great. It prints cards and labels,
too. We use a version of Dewey that was developed for Jewish <br>
libraries...parts are the same, but the 200's are different.<br>
********************<br>
I am in fact our church librarian - volunteer of course. We do use <br>
the dewey decimal system, with all of the nonfiction being in the 200s.
Example - books on parenting are cataloged 247. Several years ago we
automated our system as we have over 10,000 books and over 1,000 videos
to <br>
be checked out. We are using Winnebago as it is what I have in my school
- <br>
so at least 1 person knew the program. Prior to that we did use the card
in <br>
the back of the book.<br>
********************<br>
We have automated a couple of church/school libraries with Follett. We
received a grant a couple of years ago that allowed participation by
private schools, and if the school library was a part of the church
library, it allowed the church library to automate also. Our former
church (First Baptist-San Antonio) also automated a number of years ago
with Follett.<br>
I think most of the companies that target church libraries have nothing
that is specifically church-related, they are just small companies with
small products. I would consider going with a major company just for
the tech support and the stability of the software.<br>
********************<br>
I believe there is a system from Shelby (based in Nashville TN) that is
intended for your type of library; however, I do not think it will import
MaRC records. I've never seen the program, only heard about it.<br>
*******************<br>
(THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT THAT APPEARS HELPFUL, SO PETER OK'd ITS
USE)<br>
We have been creating, producing, and selling software for &quot;smaller
libraries&quot; including churches and synagogues for the last 21 years.
The <br>
programs catalog, maintain and checkout books, and all sorts of other
&quot;media,&quot; for example, CDs, videos, films, etc.<br>
Most of these libraries no longer use cards in the back of books, using
the <br>
computer catalog in our THE CIRCULATION DESK or our COMPUTER ACCESS
CATALOG <br>
programs.<br>
Hope this information helps....if you would like to see and use the
software, <br>
please go to our website: <br>
and under TRY BEFORE YOU BUY, download, use and enjoy the programs.<br>
If we can be of any additional assistance, please call 631-424-7777, fax <br>
424-7207 or send us an email......friends@rightonprograms.com<br>
Best wishes.............David Farren, VP<br>
********************<br>
After 26 years as a school <br>
district library supervisor and 15 years as a teacher of cataloging at <br>
(the other) UW, I retired and found myself the librarian at Plymouth <br>
Congregational Church. Plymouth is the large downtown Seattle church <br>
serving the central business district as well as the suburbs. <br>
The library has been in operation for 50 years. Sometimes they had <br>
trained librarians; other times they had well-meaning volunteers. And <br>
you can imagine what the standard of cataloging was -- spotty, to say <br>
the least. <br>
To bring some order to the chaos, I bought a management program put <br>
out by Caspr-- Library World Bronze. Because I use the program only to <br>
create catalog cards and labels, I was able to get it at a reduced <br>
price-- $300. That's half the usual rate. The program does have the <br>
capacity for check-in and out, and an electonic search capacity. The <br>
reason I don't use it is that the prospect of converting 6,000 volumes <br>
to a data base simply is too much to bear-- given our relatively low <br>
circulation. <br>
So I catalog all new materials using CIP where available and <br>
Dewey/Sears if I have to be really original or match a classification to <br>
fit the existing collection. Library World creates cards and labels for <br>
book jackets and cards and we're in business. <br>
The biggest difference I've seen between cataaloging for public <br>
schools and a church library is that public schools don't have much <br>
material in the 200's; this library has half its collection in that <br>
number. It was a culture shock!<br>
********************<br>
I also run my synagogue's library. I have purchased a <br>
software for OPAC, Mechtronics. We only circulate a <br>
few books a week, so we use cards and pockets for <br>
circulation. We just have the synagogue members sign <br>
their name and phone number so we can call if the book <br>
is overdue<br>
********************<br>
I started a library at my church about 2 years ago and I use the old-fashioned
Dewey/card system. I believe I have seen an automation system for church libraries
but it was cost-prohibitive for me. We started up with donations of used books and
some new. My budget is $300 a year for supplies and new materials. Not enough for
automation!<br>
If you don't get anything specific about automated systems from LM_Net, let me know
and I'll look at home to see if I have anything in my church library files that
would be helpful to you. <br>
Is your church library already is existence or are you just starting it? I joined a
church library association to help me get started. I love the booklet of subjects
and Dewey #'s they sent. My abridged Dewey book wasn't detailed enough to help me
with religious subject headings and Dewey #'s. <br>
********************<br>
A good source to contact for church library information is the Church <br>
and Synagogue Library Association:<br>
eudora="autourl">http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~csla/</a><br>
cataloging procedures. Among their excellent publications are guides on <br>
cataloging standards subject headings, Dewey classification.<br>
********************<br>
I'm also a church librarian; our library uses the Calico Lamb software for <br>
the online catalog. We decided not to use automated circulation, instead <br>
relying on the good ol' card and pocket system. Everyone seems to find the <br>
catalog easy to use, and entering records is also very easy.<br>
********************<br>
At our very small church library (maybe 1000 books), I catalog the books <br>
using Dewey. We have a card catalog. Books have cards &amp; pockets in the <br>
front of the book. when someone wants to check out a book, they sign the <br>
card &amp; put the card in the check out tray. when they return it, they leave <br>
it on the shelf for me to check in and put it away. Very informal. I just <br>
hate doing the cards since I have been automated at school for so long--but <br>
it wouldn't be useful to have an on line check out system for our church. <br>
Most of the older people would never figure out how to use it and it just <br>
wouldn't be worth the expense.<br>
****************<br>
Several years ago, maybe 1991 or 1992, I heard of some shareware named <br>
&quot;Rachel&quot; made by someone in NC. It was DOS. If you want me to, I can <br>
investigate further. Yes to the Dewey numbers and cards. I have seen a 200 <br>
Dewey book for church libraries, probably in the Southern Baptist <br>
literature, which is named &quot;Lifeway&quot; now. They probably have software <br>
available, too. You can probably find it on line.<br>
********************<br>
I'm a librarian of a church--or &quot;Minister of Information,&quot; as I
tongue-in-cheek like to say. We have a collection of 4,800 items, and we check out
about 150 items a month. We use a stand-alone Follett program for our catalog and
circulation system. Patrons sign cards in the books and drop them in a basket on
the desk. LIbrary staff then keys in the barcode numbers of the patrons and titles.
When items are returned, we key in the barcode number from the back of the item.
This works extremely well for us. Patrons (many elderly) aren't intimidated as they
would be if we went to a scanner system. Speed isn't a factor, so taking the extra
time to sign cards, file cards, and retrieve cards at check in, isn't a worry. We
have lots of volunteers also. <br>
We order MARC records from Marcive on the internet. Our catalog is, consequently,
very accurate. We track statistics with our catalog system, and we conduct an
inventory every three years with our computer system. <br>
********************<br>
WE use Follett in our church library<br>
********************<br>
Sunday School Board in Nashville has a computer program for church libraries. <br>
It is very expensive and I don't have their program. They do use the Dewey <br>
and either card or scan. They should have a web site. Not much help, if you <br>
already know this information. <br>

<i>&quot;Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.&quot;
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>-&nbsp;&nbsp;
 </i>John Lennon <br>
</i></html>