Thanks to all who kindly responded to my S.O.S. regarding ideas for use of
digital video in the classroom.  Some had many ideas on the use of stills,
and of course you can capture stills with video, but I'll confine my HIT to
ideas for video.
1.  Develop commercials or short spots highlighting info. gleaned from
research for reports. This can cover any area of study.
2.  Act out original fables and share with class, school, and students from
other schools.  Great idea for connecting older students with  younger ones.
3.  Video pen pals, having students give live bios of themselves. This can
be tailored to social studies and even British lit, allowing students to
share across national boundaries.
4.  School news broadcasts.  This would require cable connectivity in the
school.
5.  Oral history projects, interviews with members of community.  Lots of
possibilities here, with primary information gleaned from memories of former
soldiers, Depression-era citizens, immigrants, etc.

There are certain considerations when sharing with other entities.  Not all
schools have capability of receiving streaming video, but VHS could be sent
instead of digital transmission.  This has helped me; hope it helps others.
Fran Fransen
ihkspiller@hotmail.com
Istrouma High School & Technology Magnet
Baton Rouge, LA