------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0596D.CA0E0E40

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your many responses. I wish I could include everything I =
received, but there were just too many.  I hope this is of some value to =
those who requested a hit.  It has been great information for me.  =
Thanks again for your help.  Some of you suggested the archives, which =
do have some great information.

Denise Leatherwood, First Grade Teacher
Buckingham Primary School, Buckingham, VA
mosbi@hovac.com

I'm working on my Master's through UGA, there is a portfolio that's
required at the end. This URL http://it.coe.uga.edu/csframeset.htm
could be of help. It goes over the guidelines and gives 2 examples.=20
**************************
In mine I had:
An Introduction
A Resume
A Statement of Educational Philosophy

3 Artifacts that showed my communication skills
-a newsletter to parents
-a welcome back package to staff
-a first term report to principal

4 Artifacts that showed my traditional literacy work
-a kindergarten publishing project
-photos of a primary art project on peacemaking
-junior novel study introduction letter
-senior reading workshop letter

2 Artifacts that showed my work on information literacy
-photographs of my community literacy walk/primary research project
-a junior research project unit

2 Artifacts which showed my work outside the library
-a photograph of my girls' group
-a photograph of a book display cabinet

. . . the kind of things I included in my portfolio were my resume, =
certificates for any staff development I attended (or fliers for the =
workshop if they didn't give a certificate), letters of recommendation =
from my department chair, vice principal, and principal, my best lesson =
plan, any awards, fliers for any programs or staff development that I =
ran myself, any student work that may be relevant, anything that you =
personally developed that you are proud of, such as projects or papers =
that you created during your MLS program.

***********************************

I would include any projects/activities you have done to integrate =
technology into your curriculum. Also, any staff development you have =
done.

***********************************
. . . a great example which can be found at =
http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/buchwaln/portfolio.html .

***********************************

Some things that I had included were lessons that I had developed that =
used library skills. I also included some collaborative effort lessons =
in which the librarian and I had worked together. I had some pictures of =
some kids that had done some research and then "became" that person. I =
had a weekly newsletter that went out and I picked out some of the =
"best" ones that really showed a sampling of what went on in my room. (I =
was teaching 3rd grade at the time!) I also had some lessons that =
included some ideas that I had done with books that tie into the =
curriculum.

**********************************
I think there are some sites that discuss portfolios (I don't remember =
where - sorry - but I would encourage you to do one. I could have =
"talked the talk", but I think the portfolio got me the job. I am still =
at the same=20
school and almost finished with my MLS and love it.

***********************************

One of the items I put in my portfolio was my Collection Development =
assignment where I spent $2,500 on library resources for, by, and about =
people with disabilities. One principal with whom I interviewed =
especially liked the items about deaf education and reading/learning =
disabilities. He offered me the job!=20

In my portfolio I have some of the same things that teachers might have: =
a resume, copies of transcripts, copies of=20
certification information, past letters of recommendation, a copy of my =
educational philosophy, copies of summative evaluations from past =
principals, copies of resource-based units and literature units that I =
have created, and pictures of activities/lessons that I have done with =
students as well as bulletin boards/displays I have created.

***********************************

I set it up according to the strands of Information Power such as - =
instruction, technology, collaboration etc. I included my vision for a =
school library media center, and for education along with a graphic =
organizer to visualize it (as required by my professor). It's good to =
include photos of yourself working with children. It was also suggested =
that we keep in mind that most people just glance quickly through your =
pages so you want to have an eye catching layout with brief captions, =
perhaps on a different colored paper, that captures the message you want =
to get across simply and clearly. A table of contents was recommended as =
well as a section with your credentials, certification, letters of =
reference etc. Mine evolved and changes several times before I was happy =
with it. After all the hours it takes and the decisions about what best =
represents who you are and what you believe about being a school =
librarian you will be really proud of it. It gave me more confidence =
going into an interview....and now I understand the process from the =
student's perspective. Portfolio assessment now has personal meaning for =

me.

***********************************

I think any of the following that you have would be appropriate:
1. Policy Documents you may have written (selection policy, policy for
response to challenged material, etc.)
2. Lesson plans or units you have developed
3. Photos of any literature-related bulletin boards, activities in
progress, student products that you might have.
4. Bibliographies you have developed.

Calif State U at Chico has an excellent portfolio requirement. Either =
contact Peter Milbury directly at pmilbury@csuchico.edu or visit his =
class web pages. Here's one: =
http://www.csuchico.edu/~pmilbury/355A.html#Portfolio

I choose 4 report covers that I could put sleeve protectors in. I have =
about 15 protectors in each one. They all fit in a bright gel expanding =
folder.

1--Professional License and Development
I have put documentation of the courses and licenses that I hold. The =
Licenses are first, and all is in current to old order. We were =
encouraged to include a short typed write up of what we learned
and would do with the info.

2--Letters of Recommendation and Acknowledgement
Any letter from a colleague, parent, etc.Also include student letters, =
notes.

3--Work samples
The different types of work that you have created for your position. =
Mine: Documentation of a collection development; Philosophy papers (I =
have included copies of what I have sent for employment appl)
Bibliographies
Bookmarks

4--Community Involment
All of the service that I have been doing over the years. This includes =
letters, newspaper clippings, etc.

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0596D.CA0E0E40

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi everyone,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks for your many responses. I wish =
I could=20
include everything I received, but there were just too many.&nbsp; I =
hope this=20
is of some value to those who requested a hit.&nbsp; It has been great=20
information for me.&nbsp; Thanks again for your help.&nbsp; Some of you=20
suggested the archives, which do have some great =
information.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Denise Leatherwood, First Grade=20
Teacher<BR>Buckingham Primary School, Buckingham, VA<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mosbi@hovac.com">mosbi@hovac.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm working on my Master's through UGA, there is a =
portfolio=20
that's<BR>required at the end. This URL </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://it.coe.uga.edu/csframeset.htm"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://it.coe.uga.edu/csframeset.htm</FONT></A><FONT =
size=3D2><BR>could be=20
of help. It goes over the guidelines and gives 2 examples. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>**************************<BR>In mine I had:<BR>An=20
Introduction<BR>A Resume<BR>A Statement of Educational =
Philosophy<BR><BR>3=20
Artifacts that showed my communication skills<BR>-a newsletter to =
parents<BR>-a=20
welcome back package to staff<BR>-a first term report to =
principal<BR><BR>4=20
Artifacts that showed my traditional literacy work<BR>-a kindergarten =
publishing=20
project<BR>-photos of a primary art project on peacemaking<BR>-junior =
novel=20
study introduction letter<BR>-senior reading workshop letter<BR><BR>2 =
Artifacts=20
that showed my work on information literacy<BR>-photographs of my =
community=20
literacy walk/primary research project<BR>-a junior research project=20
unit<BR><BR>2 Artifacts which showed my work outside the library<BR>-a=20
photograph of my girls' group<BR>-a photograph of a book display =
cabinet</DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT=20
face=3DArial>**************************************************</FONT></P=

<P>. . . the kind of things I included in my portfolio were my resume,=20
certificates for any staff development I attended (or fliers for the =
workshop if=20
they didn't give a certificate), letters of recommendation from my =
department=20
chair, vice principal, and principal, my best lesson plan, any awards, =
fliers=20
for any programs or staff development that I ran myself, any student =
work that=20
may be relevant, anything that you personally developed that you are =
proud of,=20
such as projects or papers that you created during your MLS program.</P>
<P>***********************************</P>
<P>I would include any projects/activities you have done to integrate =
technology=20
into your curriculum. Also, any staff development you have done.</P>
<P>***********************************<BR>. . . a great example which =
can be=20
found at </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/buchwaln/portfolio.html"><=
FONT=20
size=3D2>http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/users/buchwaln/portfolio.html</=
FONT></A><FONT=20
size=3D2> .</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>***********************************</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Some things that I had included were lessons that I =
had=20
developed that used library skills. I also included some collaborative =
effort=20
lessons in which the librarian and I had worked together. I had some =
pictures of=20
some kids that had done some research and then "became" that person. I =
had a=20
weekly newsletter that went out and I picked out some of the "best" ones =
that=20
really showed a sampling of what went on in my room. (I was teaching 3rd =
grade=20
at the time!) I also had some lessons that included some ideas that I =
had done=20
with books that tie into the curriculum.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>**********************************<BR>I think there =
are some=20
sites that discuss portfolios (I don't remember where - sorry - but I =
would=20
encourage you to do one. I could have "talked the talk", but I think the =

portfolio got me the job. I am still at the same <BR>school and almost =
finished=20
with my MLS and love it.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>***********************************</FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>One of the items I put in my portfolio =
was my=20
Collection Development assignment where I spent $2,500 on library =
resources for,=20
by, and about people with disabilities. One principal with whom I =
interviewed=20
especially liked the items about deaf education and reading/learning=20
disabilities. He offered me the job!</FONT><FONT size=3D2> </FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2><FONT=20
face=3DArial>************************************************</FONT></P><=
/FONT><FONT=20
size=3D2>
<P>In my portfolio I have some of the same things that teachers might =
have: a=20
resume, copies of transcripts, copies of <BR>certification information, =
past=20
letters of recommendation, a copy of my educational philosophy, copies =
of=20
summative evaluations from past principals, copies of resource-based =
units and=20
literature units that I have created, and pictures of activities/lessons =
that I=20
have done with students as well as bulletin boards/displays I have =
created.</P>
<P>***********************************</P>
<P>I set it up according to the strands of Information Power such as -=20
instruction, technology, collaboration etc. I included my vision for a =
school=20
library media center, and for education along with a graphic organizer =
to=20
visualize it (as required by my professor). It's good to include photos =
of=20
yourself working with children. It was also suggested that we keep in =
mind that=20
most people just glance quickly through your pages so you want to have =
an eye=20
catching layout with brief captions, perhaps on a different colored =
paper, that=20
captures the message you want to get across simply and clearly. A table =
of=20
contents was recommended as well as a section with your credentials,=20
certification, letters of reference etc. Mine evolved and changes =
several times=20
before I was happy with it. After all the hours it takes and the =
decisions about=20
what best represents who you are and what you believe about being a =
school=20
librarian you will be really proud of it. It gave me more confidence =
going into=20
an interview....and now I understand the process from the student's =
perspective.=20
Portfolio assessment now has personal meaning for <BR>me.</P>
<P>***********************************</P>
<P>I think any of the following that you have would be =
appropriate:<BR>1. Policy=20
Documents you may have written (selection policy, policy for<BR>response =
to=20
challenged material, etc.)<BR>2. Lesson plans or units you have =
developed<BR>3.=20
Photos of any literature-related bulletin boards, activities =
in<BR>progress,=20
student products that you might have.<BR>4. Bibliographies you have=20
developed.</P>
<P>********************************************</P>
<P>Calif State U at Chico has an excellent portfolio requirement. Either =
contact=20
Peter Milbury directly at </FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:pmilbury@csuchico.edu"><FONT=20
size=3D2>pmilbury@csuchico.edu</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2> or visit his =
class web=20
pages. Here's one: </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.csuchico.edu/~pmilbury/355A.html#Portfolio"><FONT=20
size=3D2>http://www.csuchico.edu/~pmilbury/355A.html#Portfolio</FONT></A>=
</P>
<P><FONT =
size=3D2>********************************************</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=3D2>I choose 4 report covers that I could put sleeve =
protectors in.=20
I have about 15 protectors in each one. They all fit in a bright gel =
expanding=20
folder.<BR><BR>1--Professional License and Development<BR>I have put=20
documentation of the courses and licenses that I hold. The Licenses are =
first,=20
and all is in current to old order. We were encouraged to include a =
short typed=20
write up of what we learned<BR>and would do with the =
info.<BR><BR>2--Letters of=20
Recommendation and Acknowledgement<BR>Any letter from a colleague, =
parent,=20
etc.Also include student letters, notes.<BR><BR>3--Work samples<BR>The =
different=20
types of work that you have created for your position. Mine: =
Documentation of a=20
collection development; Philosophy papers (I have included copies of =
what I have=20
sent for employment =
appl)<BR>Bibliographies<BR>Bookmarks<BR><BR>4--Community=20
Involment<BR>All of the service that I have been doing over the years. =
This=20
includes letters, newspaper clippings, =
etc.</FONT></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C0596D.CA0E0E40--