Thank you to all the kind Lm_Netters who responded to my request for
interesting baseball books at the middle school level.  If you would like
a copy of the recommended reading list that I am constructing, just let me
know.  It is still a work in progress at the moment.

With appreciation,
Tara Morissette
Middle/Upper School Assistant Librarian
tmorissette@francisparker.org

Here are the Lm_Net recommendations:

****

Choosing Up Sides is fabulous.
****

I really enjoyed Farm Team, Hard Ball, and Striking Out by Will Weaver.
****

Will Weaver and the late Matt Christopher.
****

How about Bobby Baseball by Robert Kimmel Smith for fiction?
****

The following authors write baseball books
        Matt Christopher
        Fred Bowen
        C. Paul Jackson-older books but still read and for 7-8th graders
        Alfred Slote  (I know he has sports books, believe some were baseball)
        Dean Hughes
These are the ones I can think of as I reply from home.  I'm sure there
are more.
*****

Painting the Black by Carl Deuker is a great baseball book.  While booklist
suggests Grades 8-12, this book is easily appropriate for most 6th and 7th
graders as well.  Carl Deuker has a couple of great sports books in
addition to Painting the Black.

From Booklist
Gr. 8-12. After a disastrous fall from a tree, senior Ryan Ward wrote off
baseball. But he is swept back into the game when cocky, charismatic Josh
Daniels--a star quarterback with the perfect spiral pass as well as a
pitcher with a mean slider--moves into the neighborhood. Josh is adept at
placing his pitches on the line between fair and foul ("painting the
black"), and in his sweep to sports fame, he lives his life much the same
way. Ryan, whose spot on the team hinges on his ability to catch Josh's
pitches, soon learns that more than a team slot is at stake. The
well-written sports scenes--baseball and football--will draw reluctant
readers, but it is Ryan's moral courage that will linger when the reading
is
done. Candace Smith
****

Check out the books by Fred Bowen, see his site at
http://www.fredbowen.com, or on the Peachtree Publisher site. They will be
quick reads for many middle graders and will grab them and keep them
hooked.  They are a very delightful mix of fiction; with a nugget of
non-fiction which is fully explained in an author's note at the end of the
fiction.  Great selections.  See article about him in the Jan/Feb. Library
Talk.
****

Fred Bowen writes the All Star Sports Series...give him a try ;-)
****

Will Weaver writes a whole series with baseball as a theme. They include
Farm Team, Hard Ball and Striking Out. I just bought them for my MS
library.
****

Honus and Me
The Trading Game
Sorry I don't remember the authors.  Probably around 4-5 readability.
****

Hi,
One book that is very popular is Choosing Up Sides  by John Ritter -
historical fiction, baseball.
****

Try Honus and Me and Babe and Me  by Dan Gutman, books by Matt
Christopher.  Bat 6 by Virginia E. Wolf.
****

We like:

Will Weaver---Farm Team, Striking Out
Thomas Dygard---The Rookie Arrives
****

What age does your middle school begin?  Matt Christopher is a favorite of
my fifth and sixth graders.
****

There are a bunch of great baseball books both nonfic. and fic.  Have you
read Doris Kearns Godwin's book - "Wait 'til next year"?  Of course there
are the Matt Christopher series.  The McKissack books about the negro
leagues are great.

Bruce Brooks has a new book out. "Throwing smoke"
****

2 baseball books come to mind immediately:
Finding Buck McHenry by Alfred Slote (a group of reject little leaguers
search for a coach for their team.  They finally ask the custodian at
their school -- a player in the Negro Leagues of the '30s.  Kids learn a
lot about that time, and it has a great connection to baseball card
collecting, if your student is in to that)

Haunting at Home Plate - David Patenaude (combination baseball and ghost
story)
Hope this helps.
****

The Carl Deuker books are great: Heart of a champion and Painting the
blackare his stories about baseball.  On the Devil's Court is about
basketballbut I have kids who enjoyed that who have never read a book
before.   I just read Choosing up sides by John H. Ritter and I think kids
would really like that one as well.  A whole new ball game : the story of
the all-American girls professional baseball league by Sue Macy  might
appeal to girls.  Finding Buck McHenry by Alfred Slote is a great book.
There are also the Matt Christopher books.  One of his that the kids
really seemed to enjoy was the Year Mom Won the Pennant.  Skinnybones by
Barbara Park is an excellent one for high interest, low reading level.  I
noticed Will Weaver has several baseball books also but I haven't read any
of his.  Gosh, I hadn't realized how many baseball books I have read.  My
daughter played softball for her university last year.
****

1. Deuker, Carl
        Heart of a champion
   2. Dygard, Thomas J
        Infield hit
   3. Dygard, Thomas J
        The rookie arrives
   4. Park, Barbara.
        Skinnybones
   5. Powell, Randy
        Dean Duffy
   6. Weaver, Will
        Farm team /
   7. Tunis, John R
        Schoolboy Johnson
 8. Armstrong, Jennifer
        Patrick Doyle is full of blarney
   9. Christopher, Matt
        All-Star fever
  10. Christopher, Matt
        Zero's slider
  11. Weaver, Will
        Striking out
  12. Hughes, Dean
        Brad and Butter play ball
  13. Walker, Paul Robert
        The sluggers club : a sports mystery
  14. Christopher, Matt
        Baseball turnaround
15. Christopher, Matt
        The hit-away kid
  16. Christopher, Matt
        Man out at first
  17. Christopher, Matt
        Pressure play
  18. Christopher, Matt
        The kid who only hit homers
  19. Christopher, Matt
        The year Mom won the pennant

Fiction:

Books by Matt Christopher and Thomas Dygard.

Deuker, Carl. Heart of a champion (My son said it was the best book he
read in middle school.)

Powell, Randy.  Dean Duffy

Ritter, John H.   Choosing up sides

Shea, George.  Big bad Ernie