Thanks to everyone who sent me suggestions for my question about power
point slide backgrounds. I received many repsonses!! A few of you asked
for a hit. I have included a few responses that seemed to solve the
problem. Thanks again!
---------------------------------------
My original question:

At the school I am student teaching at, we are working with a 3rd grade
class in using Power Point. Each student has created a set of 3 slides,
and they have all chosen different slide backgrounds/colors. For a
parent's night presentation, we are trying to pull all of the slides
together, so that each set of slides will run one after another. Here is
the problem: We start with a "home" slide, and insert/add a new set of
slides to the presentation. Then we insert/add another set of slides, and
so on. When we insert/add a new set of slides, they change to whichever
background is used by the first set of slides in the presentation! What we
really would like to do, is find a way to insert multiple slides that can
have various backgrounds/colors. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
We are using Office 97, on Windows NT. TIA!!
Power Point will not let you have more than one "design" (like Angles,
Whirlpool, etc.) in one presentation.  You can put "backgrounds" (like a
solid color, a pattern or a gradient color) on top of the designs, but you
cannot change "designs"  from slide to slide.

The only way I have found to do what you want to do is to retain each
child's PP file as a separate file, then create a hyperlink from file to
file. Make sure all children's files are on the same disk or drive. For
example, at the end of the first child's presentation, on his/her slide
#3, create a button and assign a hyperlink to the properties of that
button.  When the button is created, PP will ask you what you want to link
to.  Choose "Other PP presentation," then specify the drive and filename
of the next child's work.

At the end of that child's work, create another action button and link it
tothe next child's file, and so on.  When you run the first presentation,
just click on the hyperlink and the new file will load.  You can make the
link automatic if you want to so that you don't have to click on the
button.

It seems like a cumbersome way to do it, and loading each file will take a
little time, but it gets the job done, and you retain each child's pride
in showing the designs he/she has chosen.  Files will  load faster if all
files are on the hard drive rather than on a disk.

Lisa -- you may want to give the following a try.  I have used it to
switch between two slideshows, and had no difficulty.  I don't know how it
will work with as many slideshows as you are talking about.

Basically, you are inserting action buttons that will open up new
slideshows.

On the last slide of one show, add an action button (select slide show;
then action button) anywhere on the slide.  I have used the 'next slide'
arrow button, but any button can be used.  Add action settings for
        hyperlink to:  other powerpoint presentation
                and select the next file

You can continue adding these in sequence; or you may want to consider
creating a new file that has an introductory slide for each student, with
links to their file.  (You would want to add a link in their file to go
back to this introductory file.)

As I indicated, I have used this very successfully with one or two files
to jump to.  I haven't used it for an entire class, so don't know if there
would be memory problems or slowness or other limits.
Lisa Skibbe
Graduate Student
School of Library & Information Science
Indiana University