Hi folks,
Am following a thread on another US_based teachers' list and could not
resist doing a cut and paste of this.  Seems we are still not getting our
message out there.

Cheers
Barbara

> > "....how many of you have your students attend a regular scheduled
>library class every week? ...Does anyone have a library class that is not
>a "teaching class," but rather just "checking out book time?"<<

Suddenly in the past two years our library time has changed. Whereas we
used to go thirty minutes once a week, we are now allowed to go for fifteen
minutes every other week. Actually, she would prefer we not have a
scheduled library time at all. Just send the children down to check out a
new book whenever they need one. This way the library is available when a
class has a project or she can assist a student with a research project.
What a joke!! The regular teacher has to come up with what we want the
librarian to teach and schedule a time. You even have to schedule a time to
have her read a book to your class. Mondays we cannot schedule a time
because that is her day to organize and shelf books. Every day the library
is closed from 2:30 to 3:00 so she can shelf books. Then we have lunch and
conference period off. She ends up with children less than half time each
week for full time pay. Sounds like us "regular" teachers need to become
librarians. Thanks for listening to my ravings.

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School
PALMERSTON ACT 2913