LM-Netters,
Finally posting a hit after having a chance to look at some of the picture
books and other resources suggested for use during a "peace month" in a
middle school. I'm still investigating a few titles that were suggested.
I've included only those that pertained to conflicts in a personal sense,
rather than those dealing with war.
The Six Crows, by Leo Leonni - Never too late to talk things over. Words can
do magic.
The Island of the Skog, by Steven Kellogg - Danger of jumping to conclusions
Peace Begins with You, by Katherine Scholes - Explains concept of peace and
how conflicts can be resolved in positive ways.
"The Gossip" in Spinning Tales,Weaving Hope, edited by Ed Brody et al -
Rumors
"The Stubborn Turnip" (in same collection) - Every individual counts
Peace Tales, by Margaret Read MacDonald, esp. "Lifting the Sky" - working
together; "Not Our Problem" - escalation; "Holding up the Sky" - choices
My favorite is a new fable, 84 pages: The Very Persistent Gappers of Frip,
by George Saunders - Wonderful illustrations by Lane Smith in a tale of
compassion and cooperation.
Worth a Thousand Words, by Bette Ammon and Gale Sherman - an annotated guide
to picture books for older readers. Revision due out soon.
Thank you, very much, to all who shared suggestions.
Lucy McCormick
Bay Trail Middle School Library
Penfield, New York
liblady85@hotmail.com