You will never believe this story... but truth is stranger than
fiction...

We were having a ball, taking all the faculty and student photos of our
homecoming week antics (Monday was Twin Day, Tuesday was Decades Day,
etc.). Well, I asked you all how to reuse my floppy disks, because I was
taking a ton of pictures and wanted to conserve, and the new disks
weren't in yet. The old disks were giving me lots of weird characters
and file names and dates (had one date from January of 2035!!!). Anyway,
I had no idea so many of you used a Mavica, and really appreciate the
overwhelming response to my question.

Here's the ironic part.... on Tuesday, I left to go to lunch (for 25
minutes) and when I returned, someone had TAKEN our digital camera!!!!
So, in between searches, interviews, interrogations with the principal,
etc., I would get all these LM_NET messages on how to reformat these
disks... oh, cruel agony!!! To ice the cake, the box of 100 NEW disks
came in yesterday morning. Of course, now I have no camera in which to
use the floppies!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!!

The silver lining is.... our district tech brought me another camera to
use (an Epson Photo PC, which, of course, doesn't use regular floppies
;) and now I have an opportunity to learn a BRAND NEW TECHNOLOGY....  ;)

At any rate, I felt like the people in the  commercial of the new
Internet startup company that cheers its first 100 orders and then
panics when the numbers start rolling in... I began to thank each
respondent individually, until I got completely overwhelmed... the
consensus was to reformat the disks (I'm on an all-Mac platform here in
the library, but our business dept. has all PC, so the teacher agreed to
reformat them for me (not an issue now, of course). So here are the
information.... and once again, thanks to the LM_NET community for its
speedy, helpful responses!

I haven't thought about this.  Did you reformat the
disk?  I mean, once the diskette is full, it won't let
you capture any more pictures.

If you don't find an answer, email me back and we'll
"talk."

Well, I always use the PC with the Mavica-I know somebody on LM_NET said

you just needed to delete the pictures-I tried that and I also tried the

quick PC format. The only surefire method seemed to be full format.

Good luck!
Technology-
Judi

******************************
Yes I am using reformed disks now with the Comera and am having no
problems.   Sue
*********************

Do you totally reformat the disks before reusing, or just delete the
pictures and try to re-use them?  We reformat, and have had no problems
with re-using the disks afterward.  Reformatting should clean up
anything
left on the disk, and make them like new again.
*************************

Have you remembered to renumber the images.  Otherwise, I have found
they
overwrite.
**************************
Have you reformatted the disc before trying to use it again?  I have
reused them several times with no problems.

Good luck!
*************************
Instead of reformating, just delete all the old files ;>)
****************************

I re-use them a lot.  I delete the old jpgs and use them again.  I don't

recall any unusual results.

***************************
Have you reformatted the disks before you tried to use them again?
********************************

I have 2 sony mavicas.  I am using a mac but I am sure
it should be the same for pcs.  I download the photos
and same them to a zip drive or a hard drive of a
computer and then I select all the images on the
floppy and drag them to the trash and empty the trash
WHILE the floppy is still in the drive.  Then I can
reuse the floppy.  On a pc, I would think after you
save the photos to the hard drive you would select all
of the files on the floppy and drag them to the
recycle bin.  You probably have to empty the recycle
bin while the floppy is in the a drive.
Good luck.
*********************************
Try re-formatting them before re-using them.
*************************
Are you doing a complete reformatting of the disk before you reuse it?
Not
just deleting the files?
*****************************

You are OK. The only thing you will have to remember to do is to
Reformat
the disk. It doesn't work to just delete files. But if you re-format,
you
won't have any problem, at least that is what I have found from using my

Mavica. Aren't they grand cameras?

Ok, it's me again (Ellen).... I will put the rest of the replies in Part
2.

--
Ellen Taylor, Librarian
Clarksville High School