WELL!  Since last night, I received about 50 answers to my cry for help with
new Patron Barcodes.  The answers seemed to be evenly split between a
rolodex and sheets in a binder by class.  Some also laminate cards and leave
them in pocket charts or index boxes for students to use, and other schools
use actual library cards (some attached to plastic wrist coils!).  Many also
just look up students by name in the system (which we can do).

Other interesting twists on the same theme:

Using plastic sheets in a binder that have pockets for business size cards,
so that the library staff could move re-alphabetize as new students arrived.

Another clever idea was to put the barcodes on post-it notes, so they can be
moved around...

Shelf markers for each student with the name, and barcode!  Can be used as a
pass, also.

THANK YOU, everyone, for your timely and creative ideas!  Here is what I
decided to do:  Rolodex for 2-5 (they use a flexible schedule) and a binder
for K-1, who are on a fixed schedule.  I printed out labels with the student
name and their district ID from our Student info system, and then affixed
the label and the barcode to each rolodex card or sheet.  I am hoping that
our photographer will provide tiny photos to add, also.

My plan is that the students should memorize the last 4 digits of their
barcodes within a month or so, like they did in my last school.  After
awhile, I hope to not be using the barcodes anymore!

Lorna McCloud
Coordinator of Info and Tech
Jackson Elementary
Colorado Springs, CO