In a message dated 00-09-04 18:22:27 EDT, LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

<<
 While in the school on Friday I met one of the 8th grade English teachers
 and told her I would like to cooperate with any lessons she might be
 planning.  She seemed very interested and asked, "How are you at teaching
 research skills?"  I want to use this opportunity to make a good impression
 when I discuss teaching research skills to her classes.   Since I have never
 worked in a Middle School (always in K-5), I would appreciate any
 suggestions you may have for the middle grades.  >>

   I've worked with middle school kids for several years as a classroom
teacher and was an elementary librarian before that.  A good place to start
with your middle school students and their research projects would be to
assess how comfortable they are in finding their way around the library.
Have they had library skills lessons in elementary school?   Don't assume
they know anything until you pretest.    Ask their teacher what their topics
will be and then tie your lessons directly to what they will need to look up.
  It can be difficult to hold the attention of kids that age and they won't
relate to anything they don't think they need to know.or that looks like
"busy work".
   The idea that some people have that school librarians "don't have to
teach" annoys me.   I always taught library skills and managed classes that
came to the library without their teacher.   It also bothers me that people
think that an aide can run the library just fine because all librarians do is
check out books.   I hear comments like that at work from classroom teachers
who leave their classes with the librarian, take their break, and never see
what happens behind the scenes.   The reason being a librarian looks easy is
because the librarian is doing his/her job so effectively.
   There!   That's off my chest.

    Jeran Walker, classroom, working on my MLS
    St. Mark's Episcopal School    Houston, Texas
    Jerart@aol.com