Thanks to all of you for your help. Here is a summary of your collective
wisdom. Many people wrote to say that Microsoft has a patch which may or
may not help. I didn't include all of those, as it is mentioned by someone
else. The following are representative, not all responses. Again, thanks.

David Lininger wrote:
> Control+Alt+Delete to bring up a screen that allows me to shut down the
> computer. For most of the 21 computers in this room, that works just fine.
> Two of them sometimes get to the "Windows is shutting down your computer"
> point and then seem to forget what to do next. I've waited as long as a

Yep, been there - done that!

As long as the Ctl-Alt-Delete combo (also known among
Windoze afficianados as "the three-finger-salute") is
bringing up the End Task box, you do have hope.

First, look for any program name that has "(not responding)"
beside it, click on the program name and click on the "End
Task" button. Sometimes another box pops up that basically
says Are you sure - you say End Task again.

Then Ctl-Alt-Del again and start closing the other programs,
one at a time. When you get them all "End task"ed except for
Explorer and SysTray, try your normal Start->Shutdown
routine again. If it still doesn't work then try the End
Task box's Shutdown button.

Once you get the danged thing shut down (no extra points for
fists through the monitor!) create a shortcut on your
desktop and put this in the "Command Line" box:
c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
exactly as I typed it above with the space between
rundll.exe and user.exe and with exitwindows as one word.
Name the shortcut whatever is meaningful for you. The next
time it hangs up, Ctl-Alt-Del to end task the not responding
program(s) and then click that handy icon to shut the
blasted thing down.

(You can also execute that same command by clicking on
Start->Run and typing it in the box!)

Can you tell I've had to do this a couple of times???

David, I used to have the same problem until someone told me about Rnaapp.
This is found in the box that comes up when you hit Control+Alt+Delete.
Click on the Rnaapp and End program. Do this before you attempt to close
down the computer. That should do the trick. It is some extension that is
only in Win 98 and also has something to do with Internet connections.
However, when it is ended, it seems to allow the computer to shut down then.

This is a known problem with Win98, and rarely with Win98SE and
Win95. Microsoft has a patch which helps.  Almost all of the time, it
is related to network card drivers; most manufacturers have released
updated drivers which usually help.  I would suggest checking to see
if there is an updated driver on the manufacturer's web site, and
assuming yes, seeing if that helps.

> David Lininger (KB0ZKE), LMS

Ah, the KB0ZKE tells me you understand the electronics involved;
Win9x attempts to reload real mode drivers on shutdown, and this
isn't always successful; network cards are the main, but not only,
culprit.  All important things have taken place, and in my
experience, powering off at that point has never caused any problems.

David Lininger (KB0ZKE), LMS
Hickory County R-1 Schools
Rt 1, Box 838
Urbana, MO 65767