Hi Julia and others who have asked,
In the ACT, each classroom teacher is entitled to 10% release from face to
face teaching so they can do some of the admin work that is such a big part
of the job. (I think it is exactly the same across the whole country)
Schools here are funded and staffed by the ACT and provision for this
release is incorporated in the staffing allocation.

At our school, this is provided in two blocks, one of 90 minutes and the
other 45, on a fixed schedule so that teachers have time to get something
done!  (We have three 1.5hr sessions during the day, with breaks for recess
and lunch, and except for their release time, teachers stay with their
classes and teach them all subjects all day.  Kids do not have to get on
the merry-go-round of different teachers for different subjects until they
get to high school which for us, is Year 7 - that is also fairly universal
across the country in the primary sector). This is provided across the
school by three of us - me, another teacher who chooses to do advanced
physical education and another who chooses to do art -it is all negotiated
with the class teacher.

In some schools, the teacher-librarian is on flexible scheduling and when a
class books in, both she (usually 'she') and the teacher work together with
the kids and if there is no class there, she does library things.  Release
in those situations is provided by someone else. Because I choose to be
part of the release team and on a fixed schedule, the person  who would
have been employed as part of the staffing formula to provide the release,
is still employed but can have a permanent class. Thus the student body can
be spread among more classroom teachers.

For instance, at Palmerston we have 420 kids which would normally entitle
us to 14 classroom-based teachers, a t/l and three 'floating' teachers plus
some executive staff who teach and do admin. The only person who does not
teach is the principal. (It's a bit more complex than that but you get the
idea.) So if I become one of the 'floaters' then that allows us to have 15
classroom-based teachers. Schools may 'spend' their staffing allocation
points how they choose, and because our principal is a whizz with numbers
and money, we have actually got 18 classes with no more than 25 kids in
each.

I like the fixed schedule because I can plan more efficiently, have
continuity and it suits my style.  AND it allows me to be an integral part
of the school staffing team rather than an added extra as some seem to be,
or for the lucky ones an added bonus.  If I am sick, I am always replaced
but because I have such a strong teaching focus it is easier to get a
teacher to replace me and my assistant keeps the library side ticking over
until I return.

I hope that gives you a clearer picture and a little insight into the
Australian system.

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton