Hello, all.
I got many helpful responses to my request for advice for interviewing for a
new library assistant. Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I also got
several requests from others in a similar situation to share the information
with the group.
The advice included the following:  ask open ended type questions such as
"tell me about your experience with computers..." or "describe your
experience with .....",   ask how the candidate would decide to prioritize
five "to do" action items on their list for the day, how he/she would be
able to handle doing multiple tasks at once or having to put tasks on hold
to deal with interruptions from teachers, students, etc, how well he/she
handles pressure, ask his/her ideas about the role of the library in a
school setting,  ask what your strongest/weakest qualities are, ask do you
enjoy working with children?  Several people mentioned giving a practical,
hands-on type of "test" requiring the candidate to compose a letter to a
vendor requesting a catalog or materials, etc. A website listing general
interview questions was recommended:
http://www.gradview.com/careers/questions.htm.  Finally, one veteran
interviewer suggested using
having a conversation with the candidate & using your "gut feeling" about
the person... if he/she seems enthusiastic and bright, they can learn just
about anything they need to do the job.

I hope to use some of these great ideas in interviews soon....
Becky Creswell
Librarian, Hamilton School
Bridgewater, N.J 08807