I have the same concerns.  I think computers are wonderful, but they aren't
everything.  I posted a sign in my library by my computers that says,
"Remember:  Computers are a resource; sometimes they are the best choice and
sometimes they are not."  One of the aspects of _Information Power 2_ that I
find disturbing is the way -- in my opinion -- it completely downplays
literature and reading promotion.  Yes, I know it is there, but I feel it
has been pushed to the side in favor of teaching information skills.  *Of
course* it is essential to teach these skills.  But I find it unsettling
that IP2 seems to convey the attitude of, "Oh yes, by the way, the library
has books to read.  Now, back to the lessons...."  If a child can't / won't
read, what good does a computer do them?  Even with all the multimedia
available on the Internet and CD-ROMs, they _still have to read_ to have it
be much use.  I have always like Phil Turner's (_Helping Teachers Teach_)
model of a school librarian's role:  one-third teaching info. skills,
one-third helping teachers teach, and ONE-THIRD READING PROMOTION.  I spend
approximately half my time with my grade 3-5 classes reading, discussing and
promoting literature (and even more with primaries!).  And I refuse to be
ashamed!

-- Norm Bagley, M.L.S., Librarian
   Cleveland (NY) Elementary School
   Central Square C.S.D.