Dear Leya,

The following lesson plan can be adapted for
other articles.  Keep them short for 5th graders.
I used a free college newspaper, The Daily
Pennsylvanian, because I could get them for free
and every student could have his or her own copy
to mark or highlight as needed.

It turns out that the article Ichoose was too
hard for most of the spanish Speaking students.
A vetran teacher used the following technique to
make the article readable to the students:

The students number each line of the article.
The teacher calls out "line 1, word number 3".
The students circle that word, and raise their
hands if they know the word.  One student tells
the class what the word is.  A useful technique
to save a lesson that was too hard.

Here is the lesson:
LESSON PLAN ONLINE SEARCHING

Objectives:
·       The students will understand how to
search online.
·       learn about the Ebsco Host database.
·       compare and contrast an article from the
Philadelphia Inquirer with an article from
another newspaper
o       Daily Pennsylvanian
o       Associated Press
o       Christian Science monitor

Topic:
Subliminal Message in Presidential Campaign

Essential Question: Is the use of subliminal
messages in campaign advertisements permissible
(or desireable)?  OR should it be outlawed?

Guiding questions:
1.  Reporters Bias--what is the reporter's point
of view?  Is he or she trying to prove a point or
is the reporter objectively stating the facts?

2. What are the facts presented in the articles?
        List the facts from the Philadelphia
article on one sheet of paper.
        List the facts from the second paper's
article on a 2nd sheet of paper.

3.  Which newspaper gave the best report, i.e.,
was the most informativie and objective?

Homework:
Do one of the following for class next week:

1. Discuss the articles you read with a friend or
family member or neighbor.  Write a summary of
your discussion (one paragraph long).

2.  Search online for another article on
subliminal messages and write a one paragraph
summary of it.  If you cannot find another
article on subliminal messages, write down the
search terms you used, where you looked.

Example:  I looked at www.ipl.org (The Internet
Library), Ebsco Host, and www.dogpile.com.  I
used the terms "subliminal message".  Result: no
information. Or Result 7 articles found at
www.dogpile.com. .The first article is Esoteric
Order of The Illuminated Brain
Details how the US Government has been plotting
to control the minds of US citizens using
microwaves and subliminal messages.
-----------------------------------
Second example:

LESSON PLAN ONLINE SEARCHING

Objectives:
·       The students will understand how to
search online.
·       learn about the Ebsco Host database.
·       compare and contrast an article from the
Philadelphia Inquirer with an article from
another newspaper
o       Daily Pennsylvanian
o       Associated Press
o       Christian Science monitor

Topic:
Siamese Twins

Essential Question: Should Siamese twins be
separated even if one has to die for the other
twin to survive and live a normal life?

Guiding questions:
1.  Reporters Bias--what is the reporter's point
of view?  Is he or she trying to prove a point or
is the reporter objectively stating the facts?

2. What are the facts presented in the articles?
        List the facts from the Philadelphia
article on one sheet of paper.
        List the facts from the second paper's
article on a 2nd sheet of paper.

3.  Which newspaper gave the best report, i.e.,
was the most informative and objective?

Homework:
Do one of the following for class next week:

1. Discuss the articles you read with a friend or
family member or neighbor.  Write a summary of
your discussion (one paragraph long).

2.  Search online for another article on
subliminal messages and write a one paragraph
summary of it.  If you cannot find another
article on subliminal messages, write down the
search terms you used, where you looked.

Example:  I looked at www.ipl.org (The Internet
Library), Ebsco Host, and www.dogpile.com.  I
used the terms "conjoined twin".  Result: no
information. Or Result 7 articles found at
www.dogpile.com. .The first article is 1.
Conjoined Twins or Siamese Twins Find information
about embryology, read personal profiles or find
twin support organiztions

"Leya S. Booth" wrote:
 > Hi!  I am going to start a 5th grade library
unit on Newspapers as a
 > resource next week and would love any lesson
ideas you have for newpaper

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=
 > All postings to LM_NET are protected under
copyright law.
 > To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or
DIGEST), send email to:
 > listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message
write EITHER:
 > 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3)
SET LM_NET DIGEST
 > 4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for
confirmation from Listserv.
http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
 > Archives:
http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NE
T.html
 >  See also EL-Announce for announcements from
library media vendors:
 >     http://www.mindspring.com/~el-announce/
 > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=

Mary Ziller
cdslibrary@xoommail.com (e-mail not checked
daily)
maryziller@yahoo.com (e-mail checked daily)
Potter Thomas Elementary School
6th & Indiana St.
Philadelphia, PA

Get free e-mail at http://www.email.com
Visit http://ecards.nbci.com to send
exclusive NBCi electronic greeting cards.