4/2/01

Thanks to the collective wisdom and graciousness of LM_NETTERS I submit this
list of California Poets, Poets born in California or that lived in
California

The Call:
Teachers have given a Poetry reference assignment that includes finding a
California poet.  Besides Gary Soto, what poets might you suggest?  I've
searched the archives, I've searched a few other places, and I've called my
local libraries (no answer).  I've called the county library, I've checked
with Poets in the schools, I've checked with River of Words,...
The response:
Did this mean they have to be BORN in CA?  If you use Google and "poet" and
"california" there are some names...hope this helps.

Three California poets will be speaking as part of a panel at ALA Annual in
SF CA. this summer.

Here are some poets that I get from Biography Index Plus.  I'm not making
any guarantees for their usefulness for High School I searched on " poet#
and california## " (# = single character truncation).

Below is the list of names of California Poets, Poets born in California or
that lived in California:
Adam, Helen
Alarcon, Francisco X
Alegria, Fernando
Angelou, Maya
Beisch, June (poet and journalist)
Bowers, Edgar (poet)
Boyle, Kay:1902-1992 (author and poet)
Brautigan, Richard (author and poet)
Bukowski, Charles
Burden, Jean:1914- (poet and author)
Carver, Raymond was also a poet who lived in California.
Clifton, Lucille
Dr. Seuss a poet?
Duncan, Robert
Everson, William
Fain, Sharon
Ferlinghetti, Lawrence
Fleischman, Paul
George, Christine O'Conner
Ginsberg, Allen:1926-1997 (poet)
Gollup, Myra Cohn Matthew lives in California
Hamer, Forrest
Harte, Bret
Hass, Robert:1941- (poet)
Hirshman, Jack
Hischfield, Jane
Hudgins, Andrew (poet)
Irons, Jamie
Jackson, Helen Hunt:1830-1885 (author and poet)
Jeffers, Robinson..
Jordan, June:1936- (poet and author)
Kamstra, Jerry
Kizer, Carolyn
Kleinzahler, August
Knight, Lynne
Kyger, Joanne
Lacina, Melody
Livingston, Myra Cohn
Loewinsohn, Ron
London, Jonathan the author of many picture books, is also a poet who lives
in California.
Lynch, Kathleen
Mackey, Nathaniel:1947- (poet)
Markham, Edwin
McClure, Michael
Miller, Joaquin:1837-1913 (poet)
Milosz, Czeslaw (poet)
Mirikitani, Janice
Moraga, Cherrie:1952- (author, poet and dramatist)
Nolan, James:1947- (poet)
Patchen, Kenneth
Reed, Ishmael
Rexroth, Kenneth
Rukeyser, Muriel
Saroyan, William wrote some poetry' and a number of other San Francisco
Beats.
Shel Silverstein lived in Big Sur
Sierra, Judy
Sitkin, Lisa
Snyder, Gary
Sones, .Sonya
Soto, Gary (poet and author) [I know you mentioned him, but this...
Spicer, Jack
Steagall, Red:1937- (singer, songwriter and poet)
Sterling, George
Waldman, John
Walker, Alice
Webb, Charles Harper (poet and professor of English)

Thanks folk, LM_NET is the greatest!
Miriam Travis
Library Media Teacher
JFKennedy HS
Richmond, CA
iyaterri@jps.net

Be good to yourself...continue to share the leftover good with others...