Hello All,

Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to respond to my query about the best
shape for tables in the library. Here are the responses:

*
I just had the opportunity to buy all new furniture for my library.  I gave
up half of my rectangular tables and replaced them with round.  I was asked
to keep some of the rectangular ones for board meeting arrangements. I
think the round is more inviting.  I will say that they are always the ones
that fill up first so they have some appeal.  I believe it also softened
the lines of the LMC.  I also added a casual reaching corner, couch,
loveseat, chair and end tables.  That has been the real hit.  So far it has
not caused any problems but the students keep stopping in to tell me how
much they like them.  They are always full.

*
Round tables are good for students who want to spread out, but they
don't work at all for students who need to collaborate or to make a
panel. Rectanguar or square tables are the most flexible for different
types of arrangements.

*
Rectangle gets my vote.  The circular tables in my library always seem to draw
the crowds of talkers who try to squeeze in extra people and what you might
think is extra elbow room is lost room for books and writing paper. IMHO

*
I have found that the round tables work better.  All the students can easily
see or handle what they are working on.  The rectangular shape makes it
harder for them to see and work plus, they tend to group more than four at
the rectuangular tables and the ones on the end have farther to reach, see,
etc.

*
First question: how often do you have your tables filled? If not very
often, then don't worry about it. If often, then consider more tables.

Second question: how much stuff do your kids spread out on the tables?
Round tables do give you lots of elbow room, but not much room for stuff.
Rectangular tables have more room for books, papers, etc.

Third question: do you ever need to put tables together? Round tables don't
line up very well.

*
We are in the process of beginning a major remodel, and all the
literature (and my personal preference) advocates 42" square.  You can
make bigger tables out of them by pushing them together; they give you
more flexibility in arrangement.  A negative that I've seen about round
tables is that they can't easily be pushed  together to make larger work
areas if needed.  I too have rectangular tables, and will be pushing for
square when it comes time to order furniture (hopefully)!

*
I will be looking for furniture for my library.  Right now we have round
tables that fit 4.  At lunch students bring over chairs from other tables.
I try to limit this because of the noise factor.

*
In our very small library (seats 36) I have all square tables + one
rectangle and I MUCH prefer them to the round tables at the grade school.
While not as many can be seated at a square, there is far more workspace per
person and the Junior High kids are less likely to mess with each others'
projects.
Also they're much more flexible--they can be combined easily when groups want
to sit together, say, 8 to a table....and all sorts of formations can be made
when
we have meetings in the room.

*
I opted for round in a new building and wish I had gone with square.  For
small groups, round is great-but a lot of meetings are held in the library
and it would be so nice to be able to do a rectangular or U shape
arrangement, and I cannot do that with round.

*
Depends on what kinds of activities go in in that area...
Round does give a little more elbow room, but in a pie piece shape. Round does
not
go together at all to make a larger seating area.

So, if you pull tables together for meetings, group work, etc. round won't work.

Personally, I'd prefer individual, sound-proofed study carrels everywhere, but
that
isn't practical. 2nd choice would be all 3x5' rectangular.

*
Circular tables are the worst.  Architects love them, but students have
difficulty collaborating around them.  Try it yourself, esp. with a book or
papers between you and your partner.  I'll take the square or rectangle
tables any day.

*
    I would LOVE to have rectangular tables.  I'm at a high
school and our small round tables (about 42" across) are way
too small to accommodate students with work spread out.  And
it encourages a more "social" climate.  In fact, I only
allow 3 students (or less) to sit at the tables.  The 4th
chair is for book bags.  I want at least square tables--more
elbow room and the potential to be arranged in a variety of
ways to fit the circumstance (longer tables, etc.).  Round
tables are very limiting.

*
My immediate thought is - make sure they are big enough - whatever that may be
for your space.  Ours are square, and a little bigger than card table size, so
that in itself promotes visiting and games.  Students need space to spread out
their books and supplies.  Our tables don't provide that.

*
We hate circular tables!  They take up too much space  but they don't give
kids enough space to spread things out and work.  Round tables look nice,
but can't be put together  for a larger group.  We like squares or
rectangles.

*
I vote for the rectangle for more students to be at the tables.  BUT, we
have the rectangle tables in our lunchroom, and the students are closer
together, therefore are apt to visit more.  Depends on what your goal is,
more students or less visiting!

*
I think it depends what the tables are used for.  I have square,
circular, and rectangular tables in my library.  I like each shape for
different reasons.  The rectangular are great when teaching or group
work.  You can keep your eye on more students at once.  I like the
circular ones for group work also because as you said you can fit many
students around a table in a little floor space.  I like the small
square tables because I think they limit the socializing.  You can only
fit 4 people and that somehow encourages schoolwork.  I have teachers
who request to work in different areas of the library because they
prefer one kind over another.

*
Think about how you want the tables used.  Round tables encourage talking
and discussion so they are useful for group projects.  Rectangular tables
work for for individual work and when materials are shared.  I like to
remove the chairs from the end of the table so there are four at the table
without anyone at the end.  EAch student has 1/4th of the table.  Study
carrels may also serve a need.

*
I am currently at an elementary school, but when I was in a HS library, I
noticed that most students would pick the round tables first when they
arrived (we had about a 50/50 split round/rectangle.  This was true no
matter where the round tables were moved.  A few students always chose an
individual study carrel.

I would recommend a mix of choices if you have an opportunity to get new
furniture.   I like the "look" of round tables, but never like to sit at
them at a library. I have always preferred to sit at a rectangle table for
some reason.

*
I think the round table have less work space, maybe mine are too small, but I
don't
have enough space for larger ones.  What I do have is a mixture of shapes; 2
square, 4 round, and 6 rectangle.  The rectangle are my "classroom" and the rest
are scattered in little nooks.

Regards,
Robert

Robert Hiebert