Hi folks
Just wanted to chime into this discussion, not to show off the sorts of
things I do, but to demonstrate that our job (and its criticisers) are the
same world over!

The one thing I did NOT do yesterday was check out books - I have a full
time assistant and yesterday she had three classes (90 kids) through before
10.00am.  Having Jenny do that frees my time up for teaching because in
Australia we must hold dual qualifications and in most primary school we
are part of the team that provides release from face-to-face teaching

But here's the run-down ...
BEFORE SCHOOL AT HOME
1. Checked my email and scanned 300 messages - replied to some, forwarded
several to teachers who could use there sources mentioned, flagged others
and deleted many.
2. Created 40 spine labels for some resources that had arrived on Monday
and needed to be available on Wednesday.
3. Bardcoded and stamped those books
4. Emailed the Resource Centre's contribution to the registrar for
inclusion in the school's weekly newsletter
5. Updated a page on the school website
5. Gathered some stuff for the lessons on the agenda that day

BEFORE SCHOOL AT SCHOOL
1. Met with the principal to discuss some new networking initiatives; the
possibility of some external funding and the logistics of an ICT Conference
we are planning
2. Chatted with staff members as they caught me going through the
staffroom.
3. Cleared my pigeonhole and made decisions about which fliers to keep,
which to chuck and which to give to others
4. Logged on the library computers
5. Checked my school-based email and followed up on a couple of them
6. Accessioned the urgent resources

9.00am - 10.30am
1. Dealt with a cartload of inquiries by kids looking for books (including
teaching them to use the OPAC so they can help themselves next time)
2. Finalised the paperwork after our Book Fair last week.
3. Talked to our parent helper group
4, Read two stories to our preschoolers

RECESS
Arranged for a colleague from WA to visit our school and three others on
Monday

11.00am - 12.30pm
Taught two Yr 5/6 classes helping them to use Publisher and Paint Shop Pro
to present their research they have been doing in previous lessons

LUNCH
Dealt with a student found stealing from the Book Fair
Tidied the library and reshelved some books that the kids had not put back
properly - searched for titles for some of our displays
Made some labels for our series section
Did a half-hour playground duty

1.30 -3.00
Taught two classes how to navigate an Internet site and retrieve
information from these, including critical evaluation pointers

3.00 - 5.00
Staff meeting including taking teachers through the Palmerston website -
volunteered for two sub-committees - set up some meeting times to talk to
teachers about their themes for Term 2

AFTER SCHOOL
Checked email
Created a bibliography of our ANZAC resources
Added some links to a webpage
Updated the Latest News page - creating a new one in FP 2000
Worked on Read Around Australian and the Young Australian Readers' Awards
Read a few pages of a book I am evaluating for our shelves!
Fell into bed and slept like a log until 5.00am

Just as well I love my job, but am looking forwarded to the Easter break.

Cheers
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian