On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, oh_aca_rro wrote:

> When I was in public relations, my father-in-law, (who grew up on a farm
> when they worked with mules!) asked me what I did.
>
> I explained a few of my responsibilities--newletters, brochures, speeches,
> giving tours. He then looked at me and said, "But do you do REAL work?"
>
> Most jobs are like ducks swimming -- most of the work is invisible to
> others!

I read an article several years ago in Kappan or Educational Leadership...
it's been long enough now that I don't remember. But it was a piece
written by someone who'd spent some time doing research (or simply
observing?) in Japanese schools. One of the things they noted was that
in Japan when someone sat down at a desk or inside an office or wherever
to do so quiet work or "think" work and so on, they were considered to
be VERY busy and should not be disturbed. In the US, however, there
is a general feeling or attitude that someone in the same situation
isn't very busy! In the US busy / "real" work is more often associated
with physical labor.

"Obscenity and hate speech alike only become free speech issues when their
foes turn from censure to censorship. When we decided to let a thousand
flowers bloom, we always knew that some of them would be weeds."
                -- Henry Louis Gates Jr., educator, c. 1990
J. Rathbun, Library Teacher
Lincoln E.S., North Las Vegas
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org