--=_alternative 004C513186256A25_=

I agree with the issue of continually being asked to do more with less
pay.  I recently received a notice about a "prestigous" position
opening--another "dream job"--requesting that the applicant have an ALA
accredited Master's degree, experience with the subject area being covered
(this was a special library serving individuals statewide), and 5 years
experience in the profession.  The pay was actually $3,000 less than what
I am making now--and I'm not making the "big bucks" in comparison to some
of the professors who work in athletics, research, or engineering.

I'm beginning to get more demanding of my "experience and background" as I
continue to work in this profession.  If we don't speak up about what
demands are being placed on us within the profession, we will continue to
be paid less and required to do more.  I realize that sometimes it's
easier just to do things than to say "no" to the request, but I've got
some great mentors at the university level who model this for me everyday.
 I appreciate their ability to tell others NO--especially when everyone
knows that the project would run more smoothly if they just took the
responsibility.  However, these librarians have told me that their time
and their subject knowledge is something that would be paid for outside of
the library--in the business world--and if others want the "product" then
they need to "show me the money."

(P.S.--Thanks to whomever had the wonderful "motto" on their signature
line about the "ducks swimming!"  I "borrowed it" from you and placed it
on my signature to make a statement to many individuals here who believe
my job is so "easy.")

Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / M.L.I.S. Librarian

Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, Oklahoma
bshonda@okstate.edu
405-744-9769
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Some jobs are like swimming ducks...most of the work is invisible to
others."

--=_alternative 004C513186256A25_=

asked to do more with less pay. &nbsp;I recently received a notice about a
&quot;prestigous&quot; position opening--another &quot;dream job&quot;--requesting
that the applicant have an ALA accredited Master's degree, experience with the
subject area being covered (this was a special library serving individuals
statewide), and 5 years experience in the profession. &nbsp;The pay was actually
$3,000 less than what I am making now--and I'm not making the &quot;big bucks&quot;
in comparison to some of the professors who work in athletics, research, or
engineering.</font>
&quot;experience and background&quot; as I continue to work in this profession.
&nbsp;If we don't speak up about what demands are being placed on us within the
profession, we will continue to be paid less and required to do more. &nbsp;I
realize that sometimes it's easier just to do things than to say &quot;no&quot; to
the request, but I've got some great mentors at the university level who model this
for me everyday. &nbsp;I appreciate their ability to tell others NO--especially
when everyone knows that the project would run more smoothly if they just took the
responsibility. &nbsp;However, these librarians have told me that their time and
their subject knowledge is something that would be paid for outside of the
library--in the business world--and if others want the &quot;product&quot; then
they need to &quot;show me the money.&quot;</font>
&quot;motto&quot; on their signature line about the &quot;ducks swimming!&quot;
&nbsp;I &quot;borrowed it&quot; from you and placed it on my signature to make a
statement to many individuals here who believe my job is so
&quot;easy.&quot;)</font>
Assistant Professor / M.L.I.S. Librarian<br>
Mary L. Williams Curriculum Materials Library<br>
Oklahoma State University<br>
Stillwater, Oklahoma<br>
bshonda@okstate.edu<br>
405-744-9769<br>
&quot;Some jobs are like swimming ducks...most of the work is invisible to
others.&quot;<br>
--=_alternative 004C513186256A25_=--