You might call this hit "The Mystery of the Missing After School Special!"
Several people responded that they swore there was an after school special
based on the book, "The Great Gilly Hopkins" by Katherine Patterson but no one
could find a source to purchase it.  I did a search on Google on it and came
across a bio on Patterson saying that it was, indeed, made into a made-for-TV
movie.  Still no source for purchasing, however.  If anyone happens to know of
one for past after school specials, please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question - you all have great memories!
 Here they are:

<<<Did you locate the video?  I have looked for this video before too, for
my husband who teaches fifth grade.
I have slight memories of seeing this on video many years ago.  I can
picture the actress "Nina" from the Young and the Restless playing
Gilly.  But I have not been able to locate it anywhere.  Maybe I am
making up this memory, but I just wondered if you had located it
anyway...>>>

<<<OK, so maybe I'm going crazy. I was prepared to swear that I remember that
movie.

Today I checked _From Page to Screen_ (1992) for Great Gilly Hopkins and for
Katherine
Patterson. Nothing at all listed for GGH, Patterson has 2 titles listed: Jacob
have I loved
and Bridge to Terabithia.

I did a Google search and found this site
http://www.mjsd1.ca/library/Gr6-8.html (that lists the 6th-8th grade novel
sets at Moose Jaw Sch Dist Saskatcjewam) which mentions a guide and a video
for GGH.

At http://www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/curr_inst/iru/bibs/elemelabib/t-dgl.html#23 I
found a slide tape on video:

The Great Gilly Hopkins (Print, AV-Fiction). Paterson, Katherine. Harper & Row
(HCP), 1987. 148 p. ISBN 0-690-03837-2 ($17.95 hdc.) ISBN 0-06-440201-0 ($4.95
pbk.)

Order No. 510722 (Newbery Video Collection). Random House (EBP), 1988. 31:30
min. Colour. ($92.40 slide tape on video). Order No. 507186 ($92.40 fs/cass.)

A Newbery Honor winner, this book traces the change in attitude of a foster
child who is placed in a loving family setting. Gilly, at first rebellious,
grows to love her withdrawn foster brother, William Ernst, her frumpy foster
mother, and Mr. Randolph,
 a poetry-loving neighbour. Gilly eventually realizes that the mother she has
idolized will never want to care for her, and that Gilly prefers her present
foster home, where she has finally found what love involves.
See also: The Pinballs
Suggested Use: Grade 5
Other Uses: English Language Arts (6-9)

Maybe this is what we remember?>>>

<<<A colleague of mine swears that Gilly was made into an after-school 2 hour
special several years ago, with real live people in it.  But I have not been
able to find it.

I did buy one $75.00 video --- which ended up to be the old slide show on
video - in two 20-min. segments.  It is marginal.>>>

<<<I looked in the Internet Movie Database (which lists made-for-TV movies) to
no
avail. I also checked Library of Congress catalog and the Library Video Company
website. Nothing in either of them as well.

BUT I REMEMBER THAT MOVIE!!!

It was a made-for-TV one, maybe an ABC Afternoon Special or whatever the
official
series name was. Since I didn't find anything listed under "Great Gilly
Hopkins" I'm
guessing the movie title was different. Can't check _From Page to Screen_ until
school tomorrow.>>>

Stephanie L. Fiedler, M.L.S.
Media Coordinator
Swift Creek Elementary School