I was wondering if we could bat a censorship issue around a little. I just read a
long series of school board meeting minutes from a school district in Minnesota
that chose to remove some anti-Darwinism books from their libraries. I have been
asked by some students to order some books from the same creationist viewpoint.
This is my question. If I am anti-censorship but refuse to buy books from the
creationist view point am I acting like a hypocrite. (a student did suggest this) I
cited a lack scientific support for this students viewpoint. She countered with the
idea that her book, while citing religious information also would cite a little
scientific information. I am trying to keep my opinion out of the who situation,
but after I read Rosemount School Districts board minutes I am confused about where
to go with this. I think my Superintendent would take a negative viewpoint about
including creationist information in the Media Center, but he has a long running
battle with these people because a lot of them home school.

I don't want to alienate the student, and I think se feels that the school is being
unsupportive if we don't include her viewpoint. I do have a Native American and
Hindu versions of creation. But they are not the version these students want. I
also have two science teachers that encourage the students to get information on
any viewpoint they can. I kind of feel like I am "between a rock and a hard place."

Honestly, if I just I am not an expert in this field, but I am leaning towards
putting a variety of viewpoints out, including theirs and letting the students
decide for themselves. Is there a reason why I wouldn't want to do that? Share with
me your wisdom

Tom

Tom Ross
Director of Library/Media
Aitkin Public Schools
306 2nd St. NW
Aitkin, MN  56431
218-927-2115 ext. 207
tross@aitkin.k12.mn.us

Fax Wave 209-882-5565

"Another day, another reason to be thankful."   :-)