Hello Netters!

I'm starting at a new school this fall and it has a different automation
system (I'll call it "Brand X") than the one I've used before. I'm also
aware that an administrative decision was made to discontinue the annual
service fee which included technical assistance as well as upgrades.

Here's my concern:
From another source (different school district) I learned that their
contract for service from Brand X specifically states that if they
discontinue paying their annual service fee, and then later decide to
re-subscribe, they must PAY THE FEES FROM THE ENTIRE TIME PERIOD THEY
LAPSED as well as the fees for the current year.

I never had such a clause in the contract with my other automation system,
as far as I can recall, but I always kept up the subscription and used the
tech help often.

This is my TARGET question:
Has this become standard practice throughout the industry, or just with
this one (very popular, often mentioned on LM_NET) brand? Or does this
company write contracts differently depending on the individual district's
agreement with them?

I'd like to get some info on this before I approach the principal about
renewing the subscription. It's possible I could also get tech assistance
on a fee per call basis, if needed (IF the library budget permits!).

You can reply to me at <shatz1@earthlink.net> and I will post a "Hit" if
others are interested. I will need to know the name of your automation
product and whether or not they charge for the time lapsed if you decide to
renew AFTER the contract ends. Please check your contract or renewal letter
so you're sure (which is a good idea even if you don't respond to this
post!) what the policy is.

Thanks!

Joanne Ladewig
"Library Lady" at Lawrence Elementary