Last May/June I posted requests for suggestions for a Secondary Author visit and
then for an Author, Illustrator, etc.  Thanks so much to all who responded.  Sorry
it has taken me so long to post a hit.  We were able to contract with Neal
Shusterman and Carol Gorman.  We are expecting great things!  (The HIT for the
Author, Illustrator, etc. will follow.)
Judy

***** Original post:

We are looking for an author that will appeal to secondary students for
school visits and for our Literary Festival next year.  We have a
county-wide Literary Festival for grades 5-12.  Next year we expect good
high school participation (for the first time - its been a real struggle,
but we finally have some high school teachers who see the value of it and
will actively promote it).  We want an author that writes for high school
students, but won't be inappropriate for upper elementary.  We would
appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks.

Kern Reading Association just featured Neal Shusterman for the high school
visits during the Young Author's Fair.  He was a huge success in a market
where students don't always respond to a visiting author.  He was very
accomodating and reasonable.

*****

Neal Shusterman, hands down!

*****

We had Will Hobbs a couple of years ago and he was great. I don't know how
expensive Jacqueline Woodson would be, but she's wonderful.

*****

Neil Shusterman is great for Middle and High -- don't know about upper
elementary.

*****

You must already know about PJ Peterson who lived in Redding last I heard.  Karen
Cushman lives in Oakland and is wonderful.

*****

Neil Shusterman (author of Downsiders, Eyes of Kid Midas, etc) was well
received by our kids this year...find him at storyman@aol.com

*****

We recently had Neal Shusterman visit our high school.  Freshmen and mixed
grade ELL students read either Downsiders or The Dark Side of Nowhere.  Dark
Side is appropriate for middle schoolers.  He also has short stories which
might appeal to middle schoolers.  He has also published novels for older
readers, Scorpion Shards and Thief of Souls.  Many of our high schoolers
ordered copies of these books.

Neal was very entertaining and educational.  Both the teachers and students
enjoyed his visit.  I  would highly recommend him.  You can get more
information about him at his website http://www.storyman.com

*****

I was impressed with the presentation of Jeff Savage who writes mostly
sports books - think he would hold the attention of high school students
and be appropiate for middle school - His information is:
     jeff@jeffsavage.com
     707-224-4335

*****

At our annual Authors' Day this year I was lucky enough to get Yvonne Nelson Perry.
This 70yr old dynamo gave about 10 classroom talks, ate lunch with teachers, and
drove back home to San Diego where she taught an adult writing class. Th e kids
loved her. She grew up in Hawaii and surfed on the old wooden surfboards and has
lived in several countries. She's open and honest and interesting.  She also
encourages students to send their writing to her for her comments and review. She
obviously likes kids

Her book is The Other Side of the Island - gritty short stories about live on Hawaii
I enjoyed her stories and some teachers used one or more for classroom assignments

*****

I've written two novels that are appropriate for high schoolers, SOMEONE
TO LOVE  (ALA Best Books list, IRA YA Choice) and FADE FAR AWAY, and I
had a short story in the recent Don Gallo collection ON THE FRINGE.  I
also have books for upper elementary like STEPSISTER FROM PLANET WEIRD
(which was made into a Disney Channel Original Movie).

Fran Lantz
Santa Barbara
http://www.silcom.com/~writer

*****

If you haven't had Neal Shusterman as a visiting author, you will find him to
be great.  He is really wonderful with students and so easy to deal with.
Good luck.

--
Judy Turner, Director of Library and Media Services