Hello, Netters,

I wasn't going to post this to the list, since I sent it to everyone who
asked, but then I decided it might be useful to have in the archives for
future reference.  I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you guys with
this.  I hereby solemly promise NEVER AGAIN to take 12 hours in one summer!
Good luck, everybody!  And if you hear of any jobs in North Texas (Grayson,
Cooke, Collin or Denton counties), holler!

Cindy Denning
TWU MLIS student
once and future librarian
Colllinsville, TX
cynden744@aol.com

http://www.lrs.org/html/about/school_studies.html. The full title of the
2000 results: "How School Librarians Help Kids Achieve Standards: The Second
Colorado Study" by Keith Curry Lance, Marcia J. Rodney, and Christine
Hamilton-Pennell.

http://www.slj.com

http://dewey.chs.chico.k12.ca.us/colo.html

I have a copy of the ALaska Study in hand.
www.lrs.org is the place to go.

The second Colorado study is called "How School Librarians Help Kids Achieve
Standards: The Second Colorado Study".  It has been published by Hi Willow
Research & Publishing and can be ordered from LMC Source PO Box 720400 San
Jose, CA 95172-0400; 800-873-3043; email: sales@lmcsource.com.
You might also find some of the information at www.lrs.org

You'll find all the information you need at www.lrs.org.  The Colorado study
done by Keith Curry Lance is there along with studies done in PA and AK.

www.tcps.k12.md.us/memo/col.html

Please see www.ala.org/aasl/resources/achievement.html for a listing of the
original Lance study and for additional research related to it.

_How school librarians help kids achieve standards:  the second Colorado
study_  You can order it at http://www.lmcsource.com.

http://www.lrs.org/html/about/school_studies.html

Lance, K. C. (1994) The impact of school library media centers on academic
achievement. School Library Media Quarterly, 22(3), p. 167, 5 p. (you can
also
get it through ERIC -- it is ED372759 -- your public library should have
access
to ERIC on line)

Lance also did a study in Alaska schools with the same results. I have the
copy of the abstract as an ERIC doc ED443445

This is not the Colorado Study, but if you are looking for
guidelines or rubrics to substantiate positions on what libraries
need, this is excellent.  It is a work in progress and comes from
Minnesota - Doug Johnson land. I'm from New Jersey, but I have
used this successfully with administrators when I needed support
for my new media center.  (I just moved from an established school
to newly constructed school in the same district.)  I find that
admistrators love rubrics - at least mine do.  At any rate, it is an
excellent document and you can find it at:
http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/memo/mnstandards.htm