I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way.  Being in a Catholic school
setting, I was uncomfortable with a lot of the book and the attitudes that
were portrayed, but when I got to the "vagina lips," I'm afraid that I did
something I always preach against.  I made my decision then and there, without
finishing the book, and deleted it from my collection.  Was I ever surprised
then to hear that the movie received a "G" rating.

Kathy Born
born_k@hccanet.org
Our Lady of Victory School
Cincinnati, OH

Original reply

I got this book too ... because of the big hype for the movie I was sure
it would be asked for by my 5th and 6th graders. The movie trailers looked
"G" ... so I was a bit surprised when I read the book last weekend after
it came in. The plot differences are fairly major (even the location
changed from New York to San Francisco) ... and while I think it is great
for middle school, I'm not sure about putting it on the shelf for my
elementary kids. Are there other elementary librarians who have read this
with an opinion? I personally would not have had a problem had my own
girls read this when they were in fifth or sixth grade ... but I have some
in my community that I think might disagree. (I'm sure not the kids ...
they would love to read about french kissing!)

***
Candace Foster
Librarian, Aina Haina Elementary
801 Hind Drive