Good morning,

A colleague and I recently published an article on selecting/using
multicultural picture books in early childhood classrooms (with early
childhood defined as birth to third grade).  Discussion in the article is
relevant to librarians as well as classroom teachers and parents.

I'm writing to tell you about it because it is ON-LINE, which means that it
can have a much broader readership than a print journal/article
receive.  Moreover, throughout the article, we link to other sites where
readers can go for more information. The article is published in EARLY
CHILDHOOD RESEARCH AND PRACTICE, published by the ERIC Clearinghouse on
Elementary and Early Childhood Education.

In the article, we provide a detailed analysis of Buntings A DAYS WORK and
Saenz's A GIFT FROM PAPA DIEGO, both of which are about Mexican
Americans.  We also talk at length about Jeffer's BROTHER EAGLE SISTER SKY.

The article opens with a note that the authors (myself and Mendoza) raise
potentially controversial issues. Readers are invited  to click on a
"dialog" box to submit the reflections/concerns/etc. about the points
raised in the article. If you prefer to respond directly to me, I'm glad to
have your feedback, and will share it with Mendoza and the journal editors.

The article is titled:
Examining Multicultural Picture Books for the Early Childhood Classroom:
Possibilities and Pitfalls
http://ecrp.uiuc.edu/v3n2/mendoza.html

Looking forward to your responses,
Debbie

Debbie Reese, Visiting Lecturer
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana
Email: d-reese@uiuc.edu