Thanks so much to all of you for your thoughtful replies to my query.  I received a
great deal of excellent, experienced advice (as I always do from this listserv!)

Libraries seem to fall into two camps:  those who label AR books with the reading
level on the outside, and those who choose to put the information on the inside.

Due to the concern of labelling of students reading on a below grade level, I've
decided to put AR labels from Renaissance Learning (also available from several
library suppliers, I was told) on the spine of the book, and print out labels for
the inside from my AR program.

When labelling the outside of the book, many teachers use colored "garage sale"
dots for different reading levels. Others used colored labels and printed them on
with a Sharpie pen.  One respondent had the information printed on her spine labels
when she ordered books.

As far as putting the information on the inside of the book, some chose to write it
by hand and highlight it.  Others printed out labels from AR, or ordered them from
Renaissance Learning when they ordered materials from them.

Thanks again for all of the advice; you guys are the best!!!

Louise C. Leonard, Director
Solomon Schechter Day School Library
Jacksonville Jewish Center
Jacksonville, FL