Naomi,

You said ,"I have a 4th grade teacher looking for a book on listening
skills that he
can use in a lesson with his class.  They are terrible at listening
and following directions ."

I don't have a book, but I do have a lesson he can use.  I  use this
lesson when my kids stop listening.  It works very well.

1.I cut scrap paper( usually not white or common classroom paper)
into squares just bigger than a business card.
2.Each student is handed one piece by me.  That way that don't get a
second piece.
3. Tell the students, " No matter what I say, don't mutilate or write
on or fold or cut this paper until
  ( pick a time about one to two hours away). Have them leave the
paper on top of their desk.
4. Start your regularly scheduled activity and go about 20 minutes.
5. When the students are into their present activity, stop and have
them get out their paper.
6. Have them write their name, write what they just learned about in
their lesson, then fold the paper in half.
7.Have  the kids hold up their papers.
8.  Ask the whole class, " By raising your hand, who can tell me what
my original direction was?"
9. A few students, usually, remember the original instruction.  When
the student(s), tells the correct original instruction, ask for who
has a clean, and blank paper.

10. Reward those students who followed your original instruction in
front of the whole class. They need to turn in their CLEAN slip of
paper to get the reward.

Choose a rewards that will really send home the message about
listening and following directions. I had to really think about this
part.  It had to be something they wanted and would get my point!

Best wishes,

Alan Pickering-Walters

--
Alan Pickering-Walters
Teacher on Leave of Absence studying Spanish