Greetings!
Have you seen the movie Pay it Forward?  If so, you remember how much
change just one kid can make across a whole country.  We at Marseilles
Elementary School in Marseilles, Illinois, have an idea that was
inspired by the movie Pay it Forward.

We do a program at our school called "PeaceBuilders" which reminds us
all to try to create a peaceful environment at school and in our
community each day.  Part of what we do to remind each other of this is
to hold up the Peace Sign with our two fingers. (Shades of the 60's for
some of us.)  Anyway, we do this in the hall, in class, the cafeteria,
anywhere we need to create some peace.

Well, here is our idea...with the holidays upon us, lots of people will
be spending a lot of time driving here and there to visit relatives.  At
this time in our world, we think you will agree that we are all wishing
for peace.  For this reason, we are starting a nationwide experiment
called "Pass the Peace!"

We are asking you to help us spread a little peace this holiday season
by holding up a peace sign and a smile to people every now and then as
you and your family are passing people on the inerstate or traveling
around your town.  Why not liven up that boring car ride!

Please join us in this movement and get busy flashing your peace sign on
the road as you travel.  We think you will all be amazed at how we can
work together to create some positive change and remind the adults all
over the world that KIDS WANT PEACE!

If you plan to take part in this movement, we would love to hear back
from you with a postcard or an email that you are going to "Pass the
Peace".  I'm asking you to share this idea with your teachers.  We have
posted a map on the bulletin board in the hallway and will flag the
areas from where we receive  a reply.

Thanks.

dcrawshaw@htls.lib.il.us
Dee Crawshaw, Librarian